Quiters?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
AmericanEagle

Quiters?

Post by AmericanEagle »

What is the point of gaming online when people quit the game knowing they will lose, then they join several other games? There's NO penalty to the player that quits, their Reputation rating stays at 100%. That is totally incorrect, that person's rating is a 0% (I don't care if they completed any other game, that is totally irrelevant). If you quit one game you are a 0% and everyone should know to avoid that person!. The MATH here is way off! A Reputation rating of 100% to a quitter, Really???
Lymon Flowers

Re: Quiters?

Post by Lymon Flowers »

Actually, there IS a penalty (this is covered by the FAQ).

I am not a site admin so not in charge of the work there, but I imagine they thought hard about this. It is a bit harsh to get a 0% karma because you left a game, you may have something urgent and unforeseen forcing you to quit, same for exhausting your time. The math is complex between punishing good-for-nothings and not being to hard with occasional quitters.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

And, the most relevant sections of the FAQ, because you prefer to rant in the forums than read the site rules.
FAQ wrote: If you quit, or get kicked out of a game in progress, you lose 10☯ or even 20☯ if you already quit another game recently.
If you receive too many 'Red thumbs' from the other players when compared to the amount of 'Green thumbs' received, your karma will be limited to a maximum value.
That maximum value is 60%, by the way.
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

AmericanEagle does have a point here, because the player who left the last game 22 hours ago did not lose any reputation, despite what the FAQ says. The player who left has only played one game since, in which he went over time so he wouldn’t have been able to recover points. His reputation should be 90%, but it’s still 100%
compte obelète

Post by compte obelète »

Hold up, the first time you quit or get ban from an game, you don't get any penalty.

So it's maybe his first time he dose it. Or he have 10 turn by turn games finished right after that game.

Nope, was his first time he got that quitting experience, and in the quitting stuff, it's said if you quit the first time, you don't get any penalty.
paramesis

Post by paramesis »

Is that documented anywhere?
compte obelète

Post by compte obelète »

paramesis wrote: 24 August 2020, 13:42 Is that documented anywhere?
When you are quitting, if I remember, a pop-up window will appear, there a section that said...

"You don't get penalties if you get ban/quit the game for the first time"
AmericanEagle

Post by AmericanEagle »

I’m sure the Admins thought long and hard about this. To me you quit one game, you are a quitter period! Why a person has a Reputation of 100% fooling the BGA community is way beyond me. A quitter can never be 100%. Let’s think about this for one moment if we could, what does 100% mean? Let’s ask Webster for his definition. Completely, Entirely. {Finished; Ended, Concluded} So by the clear definition by Webster, 100% can only mean that you have “Completed”, “Finished”, and “Entirely Concluded” all of your games and commitments to its final "Ending" (conclusion). A quitter clearly does not meet that definition, and can never be 100%!

Imagine telling your teacher, I didn’t complete all my assignments and I missed several questions on my tests too, yet I deserve 100% on my assignments and tests. The teacher would then ask, “Other students completed all of their assignments and they got all of their questions correct on their tests. Why should you get the same score of the students that put all the effort in, while you decided not to complete your commitments? That just would not be fair to those that worked hard and played by the rules. They earned their score of 100%, you did not”! Well answers the student, “BGA says 100% does not mean completing everything. In fact they allow people to quit and not complete their commitments, and they are rewarded with a perfect score of 100%, so why don’t you do the same”? “Well” replied the teacher, “you will need to ask BGA how by not completing your commitments and quitting gives you a perfect score of 100%. Once you get that answer, I will not increase your scores, you on the other hand will have learned how math is done incorrectly”

I really had a great time coming back to BGA and playing Downforce. I’m amazed and at awe of the developers coding efforts to produce such a wonderful experience for all of us to enjoy. It’s been fun, and quitters ruin it for everyone!
Ranior

Post by Ranior »

Fortunately quitting games on BGA is quite rare, and if you play with people with high reputation scores it will happen very infrequently.

It is still annoying when it happens, but....just move on. It's likely someday some unforeseen thing may occur that will cause you to quit a game--dog suddenly is barfing, a child accidentally hurts themselves, power goes out, internet goes down, etc. It is nice that infrequent occasions do not impact your reputation such that we all have a little leeway for the vagaries of life.

Overall the reputation system works quite well in my opinion. Keep playing with players with high reputation and you will rarely deal with games failing to complete.

Return to “Downforce”