ELO Scoring

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ElGera

Re: ELO Scoring

Post by ElGera »

Jest Phulin wrote: 11 December 2020, 19:17 The problem of risking large losses for small gains can also be removed by appropriate use of the table settings. If you restrict play to players close to your rank, there will never be a case of losing a lot of ELO to a much weaker opponent.
Yes, but in Arena mode you canott make that
Over the last 3 months, it was the same for Rank#1 as it is for you trying to gain ELO.

The difference is, he/she has done it, and you have not, therefore they are better than you.
Of, course. The problem is in Arena Mode. Players who have reached 1797 points do not play games so as not to lose their score, and stay in first places
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

ElGera wrote: 16 December 2020, 03:50
Jest Phulin wrote: 11 December 2020, 19:17 The problem of risking large losses for small gains can also be removed by appropriate use of the table settings. If you restrict play to players close to your rank, there will never be a case of losing a lot of ELO to a much weaker opponent.
Arena mode lobby -> gear by the game -> show advanced options ->Opponent's level -> I never want to play with far from my level, I never want to play with around my level (+/- 2). Yes you can do it.

Also, when having multiple quotes in the same post, please attribute each quote. Otherwise it looks like you are quoting the same person, and I never said the other bit. That was RicardoRix
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Jest Phulin wrote: 16 December 2020, 10:03 Yes you can do it.
This isn't functionally true. While the pre-Elite ranks somewhat simulate tiered skill levels, once you reach Elite the ranks will vary wildly, to the point that an Elite ranked player may as well include all ranks as they are regarded as being ~1500 arena rank +/- win & loss changes.
Last edited by N_Faker on 17 December 2020, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.
whatshisbucket

Post by whatshisbucket »

N_Faker wrote: 16 December 2020, 10:43
Jest Phulin wrote: 16 December 2020, 10:03 Yes you can do it.
This isn't functionally true. While the pre-Elite ranks somewhat simulate tiered skill levels, once you reach Elite the ranks will vary wildly, to the point that an Elite ranked player you may as well include all ranks as they are regarded as being ~1500 arena rank +/- win & loss changes.
Yeah i think this is a result of it being impossible to fall down to lower leagues. Anyone can get up to Elite league just by stringing a few wins together (on a few different occasions).
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Also, Elite ranked players have nothing to lose by playing with lower leagues, provided there is no match fixing. This in turn will boost lower league players into higher leagues, perpetuating itself, defeating any semblance of tiered leagues by skill for any game with a meaningful luck factor or multiplayer setup.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Over the last 3 months, it was the same for Rank#1 as it is for you trying to gain ELO.

The difference is, he/she has done it, and you have not, therefore they are better than you.
Of, course. The problem is in Arena Mode. Players who have reached 1797 points do not play games so as not to lose their score, and stay in first places
Yes but they had to play games in order to get up to that level, whereas you have not - which is my point.
ElGera

Post by ElGera »

Jest Phulin wrote: 16 December 2020, 10:03
Arena mode lobby -> gear by the game -> show advanced options ->Opponent's level -> I never want to play with far from my level, I never want to play with around my level (+/- 2). Yes you can do it.

Also, when having multiple quotes in the same post, please attribute each quote. Otherwise it looks like you are quoting the same person, and I never said the other bit. That was RicardoRix
ok, sorry
ElGera

Post by ElGera »

RicardoRix wrote: 17 December 2020, 09:57

Yes but they had to play games in order to get up to that level, whereas you have not - which is my point.
I got your "point"
Do you understand mine?
Orsizuma

Post by Orsizuma »

Can anybody elaborate on the scores when there are 3 players ?
Does it not related to how close you were for winning ?

Many times I had 2 column and were 1 or 2 steps away on the 3rd when one of the other players won, so extremely close to winning . When I check the result I get -5 points and the 3rd person who was far behind get like -6 .
Other time I win get like +15 and the 2nd player who were super far behind get positive scores and the 3rd who had similar standing in the game get -10.
What is the logic in this ?
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Orsizuma wrote: 25 December 2020, 03:34 Can anybody elaborate on the scores when there are 3 players ?
Does it not related to how close you were for winning ?
ELO does not consider how big the win was. It was designed for chess, where the score is always 1-0, 0-1, or 0.5-0.5. As such, it doesn't matter if the win in Can't Stop is 3-0, 3-1, or 3-2; it treats all of these as 1-0.

In a multiplayer game, ELO calculation is done as if several 2-player games were done. So if the final scores are A:3, B:2, C:2, D:1, the final ELO will be treated as if:
A defeats B, A defeats C, A defeats D
B loses to A, B ties C, B defeats D
C loses to A, C ties B, C defeats D
D loses to A, D loses to B, D loses to C.

The amount of points shifted in each matchup depend on what the initial ELO difference was. It is more likely a higher-ranked player will defeat a lower-ranked player, so there will be less of a points shift if it happens that way or if the lower-ranked player wins. Then, too, there is a factor based on how many games the player has played (to more quickly get a newer player's ranking closer to their accurate value).

Hovering over the ELO on the end screen will bring up a pop-up showing more detail on these calculations.

Return to “Can't Stop”