ELO Scoring

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
CaractacusPots

ELO Scoring

Post by CaractacusPots »

Could someone explain the ELO scoring for this game please, I can't find mention of it in the rules

It appears that when you actually win a game you sometimes don't even score as many ELO points than when you lose a game.
i.e. losing a game loses you more ELO points than winning a game in which vase it's a negative sum proposition.

It's not always the case though.

So what are the factors that determine whether you get 11 points for winning or -14 for losing and so on?

Thx in advance
Tisaac

Re: ELO Scoring

Post by Tisaac »

Here are some info about ELO calculation in the FAQ :
https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=faq_account_elo
CaractacusPots

Post by CaractacusPots »

Hi

Thanks for that. Explains a lot. So yet more ways for the site to level everyone !
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

CaractacusPots wrote: 03 September 2020, 15:09 Hi

Thanks for that. Explains a lot. So yet more ways for the site to level everyone !
?? What do you mean ??
ELO calculation is the same as in chess yet chess players ELO are in no ways leveled.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Tisaac wrote: 03 September 2020, 16:29
CaractacusPots wrote: 03 September 2020, 15:09 Hi

?? What do you mean ??
ELO calculation is the same as in chess yet chess players ELO are in no ways leveled.
CaractacusPots has posted many times in the Backgammon forums that BGA, since it relies on memberships for its funding, must be manipulating dice rolls to ensure that new players win more often than experienced players. Thus, leveling the wins.

I have no idea how using the worldwide standard method of ranking chess players is another way to level people, though. :(
ElGera

Post by ElGera »

[/quote]

CaractacusPots has posted many times in the Backgammon forums that BGA, since it relies on memberships for its funding, must be manipulating dice rolls to ensure that new players win more often than experienced players. Thus, leveling the wins.

I have no idea how using the worldwide standard method of ranking chess players is another way to level people, though. :(
[/quote]

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Can't believe
ElGera

Post by ElGera »

Is very frustrating the Arena sistem in Can't Stop.

I reach one time 1743 point, reach 4th place.
If I stop playing, I still stay in 9th place.

Now, I reach 1672 point, with +13 point esch victory. But, If I lost, drop 29-31 points, most of the time with playeres with low rank points. This means that for each lost, I need win 3 games to reach the same points.

In the meantime, in the first position of the rank, no play games to mantain his arena points.

We need some sistem to force players play games to mantain his points, and no play with very low players
whatshisbucket

Post by whatshisbucket »

ElGera wrote: 10 December 2020, 20:52 Is very frustrating the Arena sistem in Can't Stop.

I reach one time 1743 point, reach 4th place.
If I stop playing, I still stay in 9th place.

Now, I reach 1672 point, with +13 point esch victory. But, If I lost, drop 29-31 points, most of the time with playeres with low rank points. This means that for each lost, I need win 3 games to reach the same points.

In the meantime, in the first position of the rank, no play games to mantain his arena points.

We need some sistem to force players play games to mantain his points, and no play with very low players
There is a fairly adequate system in place. The system is that the Arena resets every 3 months.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

ElGera wrote: 10 December 2020, 20:52
Over the last 3 months, it was the same for Rank#1 as it is for you trying to gain ELO.

The difference is, he/she has done it, and you have not, therefore they are better than you.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

The problem of risking large losses for small gains can also be removed by appropriate use of the table settings. If you restrict play to players close to your rank, there will never be a case of losing a lot of ELO to a much weaker opponent.

Return to “Can't Stop”