Translating Oh-Seven

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Xom

Translating Oh-Seven

Post by Xom »

Thank you to everyone contributing translations!

Many game UI translations have already been contributed, and now I'd like to get the game help (a.k.a. rules) translated, too, so that everyone can see it in their own language, when they scroll down in the game. Let's also collect all of the rules links onto the game info page.

To start us off, I have rewritten the rules in Chinese: http://zh.doc.boardgamearena.com/Gamehelpohseven
My Chinese is quite bad though, so if you are natively fluent, please edit it freely to improve the fluency!
Xom

Re: Translating Oh-Seven

Post by Xom »

A language note: I considered it a stroke of luck to have terms like "trump", "overtrump", "undertrump", and "discard" in English that are readily comprehensible to someone with no prior knowledge of trick-taking games, as opposed to jargon like "sluff", but I don't know if the same luck will hold in other languages, and it may be better to replace them all with one common verb analogous to "play". For example, as of this post, the Japanese translation is the same in all of those cases: "Xomは4♠をプレイした". Whether to do that, when the alternative is to use more arcane terms like "sluff", should depend on the language and the judgment of the translator.
Xom

Post by Xom »

One last minor thing, I noticed that translators were having trouble with the three "fill rate" statistic labels, and I discussed it with the designer, who suggested making it more colloquial. I mean, if I was in the middle of the game, I'd never say "I filled my bid!" or "I overfilled" or "I underfilled"; I might say "I made it!" or "I missed!" or "I overshot!" Unfortunately "I made it" is hard to turn into a noun, and "I missed" is ambiguous, but "overshoot" is good, and in the other cases I still tried to do my best in a similar spirit:
* "Bid fill rate" is now "Success rate"
* "Overfill rate" is now "Overshoot rate"
* "Underfill rate" is now "Shortfall rate"

I know it is a very minor thing, but if you play with a translation, please look at the label in your language and consider if it should have a similar change.

(During initial development I also considered "Underbid rate" and "Overbid rate", but I decided against them because personally, when I'm playing the game, often that isn't how I think of what happens—if I don't get enough tricks, maybe half the time I'm thinking "oh no I overbid", but in all of those instances I'm thinking "oh no I didn't get enough". I recognize that that's not an absolute reason to abandon these terms, which are conventional, but I feel that I chose a more satisfying way.)
Xom

Post by Xom »

My friend wrote the rules in German: https://de.doc.boardgamearena.com/Gamehelpohseven

Return to “Oh-Seven”