Hearts acquired not displayed

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
CaractacusPots

Hearts acquired not displayed

Post by CaractacusPots »

Ok well I've played Hearts for many years and never have I come across any version that doesn't display the penalty cards that you have taken so far.

You need to know what hearts have gone and the total number of penalty points you have acquired so far in the hand.

The game here doesn't show you the cards. First instance of that I have ever come across.

Am I the only person that finds this odd?

Maybe

This version of the game is not for me
Jest Phulin

Re: Hearts acquired not displayed

Post by Jest Phulin »

I have never played it live where players have shown what hearts they have taken. At most, the question "have hearts been broken?" is allowed and a truthful answer must be given. Also, the last trick taken may be revealed at a request before any other cards are played. But to know how many each person has taken is up to each player to remember. Looking back through past tricks (even the ones I've taken) is expressly forbidden, unless I am accusing someone of cheating (playing off-suit when they could have played the suit).

Since this site prevents that form of cheating, there is no reason to allow looking through the hands to gain that knowledge, and any other information. It is up to the individual to remember what cards have been played. This mimics the live play better.
SleeperService

Post by SleeperService »

When you're playing Hearts in person you need to remember what's been played, no recording allowed. Why shouldn't it be the same here. In fact, they should do away with the play-by-play on the side. I suspect people cruising this is one of the reasons the game slows way down sometimes. And, mind you, I'm saying this as a senoir who often forgets whether the Queen has been played.
zbik84

Post by zbik84 »

Dla mnie dużym problemem jest to, że możesz przejrzeć wszystkie lewy od początku rozdania. Powinna być widoczna tylko ostatnia lewa i logi każdego gracza powinny być zablokowane w tej grze.
Finngall1300

Post by Finngall1300 »

When you're playing Hearts in person you need to remember what's been played, no recording allowed. Why shouldn't it be the same here.
Because in a turn-based game a hand can take a week or more? For live games I could see a justification, but if you expect me to remember how many people have taken points without any kind of reminder when hearts were broken in the middle of last week, especially if I’ve got a couple of games going at once, your memory is a hundred times better than mine.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Finngall1300 wrote: 09 January 2021, 04:21
When you're playing Hearts in person you need to remember what's been played, no recording allowed. Why shouldn't it be the same here.
Because in a turn-based game a hand can take a week or more? For live games I could see a justification, but if you expect me to remember how many people have taken points without any kind of reminder when hearts were broken in the middle of last week, especially if I’ve got a couple of games going at once, your memory is a hundred times better than mine.
Which is why all turn-based games have a notepad that only you can see. It is up to you to remember important information by jotting it down, not up to the computer to remember it for you.
SteveV

Post by SteveV »

CaractacusPots wrote: 04 September 2020, 18:53 Ok well I've played Hearts for many years and never have I come across any version that doesn't display the penalty cards that you have taken so far.

You need to know what hearts have gone and the total number of penalty points you have acquired so far in the hand.

The game here doesn't show you the cards. First instance of that I have ever come across.

Am I the only person that finds this odd?

Maybe

This version of the game is not for me
if you were to be playing in person at an actual table would you be allowed to see who has taken how many points so far in the current hand? I've never played that way... I've always played that each player is responsible for doing their own mental track of what's down...
Winterfella

Post by Winterfella »

Agreed that it should be an option for turn based. Too much work to use the notepad to keep track. Makes this version unplayable for me.

Return to “Hearts”