The new Olympia feels weak

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
pliskin64

Re: The new Olympia feels weak

Post by pliskin64 »

All red cards have a cost for example, the same for blue. Anyway, Olimpia is so weak that any change are welcome.
Wonderful Plays

Post by Wonderful Plays »

pliskin64 wrote: 05 October 2020, 23:52 All red cards have a cost for example, the same for blue. Anyway, Olimpia is so weak that any change are welcome.
1 Blue card out of 4 has a cost.
Man on the Moon

Post by Man on the Moon »

pliskin64 wrote: 05 October 2020, 23:52 All red cards have a cost for example, the same for blue. Anyway, Olimpia is so weak that any change are welcome.
I found playing A side often useful. At 1st stage I focus on collecting key brown resources (or trading post) and take at least 1 red. At 2nd stage, I try to get 2 reds and try to deny some resources. I don't build blue before 3rd stage. And then at 3rd stage, I can build at least one or two good ones free (1 blue and 1 purple). Even though the deck really matter, it applies roughly same for other wonders.
Calfchemist

Post by Calfchemist »

Wonderful Plays wrote: 01 October 2020, 10:29 The more I play the stronger A side feels in 4P games. I would argue it is at least top4, propably top3 maybe even 2nd best.
Night side feels weaker, but it has it upsides.
It is also very strong in higher player counts.
I know this is months late, but could you please elaborate as to how night Olympia is very strong in higher player counts? I genuinely cannot see how it is and I know you play this game a lot.
Wonderful Plays

Post by Wonderful Plays »

I meant this specifically at 6 & 7 player, where a lot of people can have issues getting timing on their stages and you can easily win reds with your free builds and stone free economy.
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

I agree that Olympia is one of the weakest

I also agree with people who say A is actually the best side on this one
yslatha

Post by yslatha »

dschingis27 wrote: 11 September 2020, 19:02 I suspect that Olympia B will be the ideal wonder for a blue cards strategy. Science could also work well. If you get first and last card of each age for free, in between you can try to chain blue or green cards. To make good use of the wonder stages, you have to renounce resource cards at some point. So while opponents concentrate to build their production you can already get nice points and ahead of the crowd. :)

But obviously Olympia is a higher variance wonder, its value depends a lot on the exact cards you get in first and last round of age 2 and age 3. Kind of like with Babylon, you can get amazing last 2 cards or you can get nothing.
It did not allow me to build the green card for free when I had 2 cards to choose from! I am so confused!
midasK8

Post by midasK8 »

frogstar_A wrote: 20 July 2021, 23:54 I agree that Olympia is one of the weakest

I also agree with people who say A is actually the best side on this one
I can't decide which side i dislike the most :D
SluggerBaloney

Post by SluggerBaloney »

Deleted
Last edited by SluggerBaloney on 12 January 2024, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
ElThoesen

Post by ElThoesen »

Not sure why this thread was revived, we've known Olympia is trash since it came out.

That said I just won 4P by simply... not building my wonder stages. The way the hands were distributed, I couldn't build stage 1 in age 1, and it's pointless in age 2 when I kept getting better cards. Which is more luck than anything, but it's funny one of my few Olympia wins is using it as a blank canvas.

To the newer players, there are some strategies out there by Wonderful Plays and Iguana regarding side A and doing yellow/brown/red builds. I've honestly found the most success with side A and focusing on two things: 1) building wonder stages as quickly as possible. Spike those greens and finish in age 2, don't save your last stage for age 3, you'll need a favorable draft in age 3 to win regardless. 2) Focusing on disrupting other wonder strategies more than I normally would. 4P means you can try to incentivize the player across from you to go heavier on red than they would by messing with their resource access or greens, for example.

Return to “7 Wonders”