Conceding

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Jellby

Re: Conceding

Post by Jellby »

In no way. Conceding is exactly the same as playing to the end and losing. Except some players may apparently be annoyed by that and red thumb you. On the other hand, some other players may be annoyed and red thumb you if you don't concede when it's obvious you have no chance.

Now, quitting a game (not conceding) is a different matter, that affects scoring and karma, and will annoy everyone.
Charlieboy80

Post by Charlieboy80 »

I just played against a player with way more xp than me in the arena. Also, I was bronze (1 star) and they were way at the top of the league.

That player conceded when I was blatantly going to win at 70%.

I got +11xp, he got -11xp.

I'm sure I would have got way more than +11xp if we played until the end and I got a true win.

As he conceded at 70% of the game completed, did I only get 70% of the xp?
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

If you opponent concedes it is not important at which game state. You will always get full points.

You will win full Elo points and if it is an Arena game you get full Arena points. I do not know what you mean by +11xp.

If you still have questions you should point out which game you are talking about and somebody will surely look into it and explain in more detail. I cannot do that now because I cannot know which game you meant.

Edit: I now see that you were talking about your game against dikkyboy. You won 11 Elo points in this game.
Please note that your opponent has an Elo of 134 at the moment. You have 138 points. I.e., you are almost equal on Elo points - you did not beat a player with a high Elo rating!
For Elo it does not matter if your oppenent has reached a higher Arena level as yours (your opponent has already reached Elite level). There is a separate Arena rating - you will see your points as soon as you reach Elite level yourself. Before that, Arena points are already calculated for you but you cannot see them.

And a final remark: At the time of resignation your oppenent had a winning chance of 0.00% (rounded to a hundreth of a percent) according to XG. Did you not notice that the pip race was 50:134 in your favor and you were already bearing off, while your opponent still needs 13 quarter crossings to even start bear off?
Last edited by euklid314 on 30 January 2023, 00:51, edited 2 times in total.
Silene

Post by Silene »

Charlieboy80 wrote: 29 January 2023, 23:23 I just played against a player with way more xp than me in the arena. Also, I was bronze (1 star) and they were way at the top of the league.

That player conceded when I was blatantly going to win at 70%.

I got +11xp, he got -11xp.

I'm sure I would have got way more than +11xp if we played until the end and I got a true win.

As he conceded at 70% of the game completed, did I only get 70% of the xp?
You got the full win because conceding is a regular end of the game. But it is elo and not xp.

So although you were sure, you're also wrong. It would've also been 11 elo if you had played to the end.

It would be different if they had irregularly quit the game. In that case you get fewer elo depending on % finished. But they would get an additional elo and karma penalty if they did that because that's not supposed to be done (unlike conceding).
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Charlieboy80

Post by Charlieboy80 »

That all makes sense - albeit odd - but thank you all!

I guess I'm used to playing physical board games with friends where we just play until someone actually wins; not until someone is certain to win.
(We also play with drinks so it's a chance to chat over it all!)

Return to “Backgammon”