Moving settlements from completed terrain types

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
pinkyandthebrain

Moving settlements from completed terrain types

Post by pinkyandthebrain »

Having played this game on BGA recently and liked it, I downloaded the android app version from google play to play offline. I noticed that the way in which the extra action barn tile is used varies from the Queen Digitals version to the BGA version. (This might also apply for the harbour - that tile wasn't in the game I played on BGA).

These are the rules from Queens Games:

Barn
Move any one of your existing settlements to a hex of the same terrain type as your played terrain card. Build adjacent if possible.

In a BGA game I had completed all adjacent settlements in the terrain type I had just drawn (forest) and only had settlements in the forest at this point (second turn, drawn forest twice, built in a location with 6 forest hexes). When I tried to use the barn tile I picked up on the first turn it would not let me move to another new forest space, so effectively I would not be moving the settlement, just picking it up and putting it back down in the exact same space. However the rules state to MOVE then build adjacent if possible. In this example I was not moving the settlement.

In the app version when a terrain is fully built upon and you use "barn" to move a settlement from this completed region, it then allows you to build on a fresh site. Same with the harbour, if you were building on a river with only one settlement (built on water) being adjacent to a free water hex, if you chose to move that same settlement then all available water hexes would open up to you; if you moved any other settlement you would have to build next to the region of water you are building on.

Seeing as the app is by Queen digitals themselves, I would presume the app game to be the correct interpretation of the rules. It might be the case that what happened to me was in fact a bug rather than the BGA developer having a different interpretation to the aforementioned rule but wanted to see if anyone else also has the Queens version of this game and noticed this difference. It really did affect the opening of a game, and the way in which you can expand your kingdom.
Tisaac

Re: Moving settlements from completed terrain types

Post by Tisaac »

pinkyandthebrain wrote: 04 October 2020, 22:19 Seeing as the app is by Queen digitals themselves, I would presume the app game to be the correct interpretation of the rules. It might be the case that what happened to me was in fact a bug rather than the BGA developer having a different interpretation to the aforementioned rule but wanted to see if anyone else also has the Queens version of this game and noticed this difference. It really did affect the opening of a game, and the way in which you can expand your kingdom.
Not at all, the app is full of bugs. Just go on the bgg forum to see that a lot of people are complaining about that.
On the contrary, I read a looot of FAQ and threads on bgg before doing the implementation here, so that one is definitively how it should work.
Moving a settlement is always :
- choosing a settlement that you remove temporary from the board
- compute adjacency
- put back the settlement on the board
- check for any lost location tile
radicarian

Re: Moving settlements from completed terrain types

Post by radicarian »

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Kin ... r_FAQ#toc2

For reference, things that that the app has wrong (but are correct here)

Return to “Kingdom Builder”