Coup Challenge Rule

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
levirichardson

Coup Challenge Rule

Post by levirichardson »

Hi all,

Could someone please clarify the challenge rule and the way that it is implemented on the BGA version? Per the rulebook "any action or counteraction can be challenged by another player......"

I just played for the first time on BGA and it never gave me the option to challenge a player's action outright. It only offered to "allow" or to make a character counter action. The only time the challenge was allowed was in the case of a counteraction. The active player was allowed to challenge his/her target if they claimed another character's counteraction.

Any clarifications on this from experienced players?

Thank you!
__Mac__

Re: Coup Challenge Rule

Post by __Mac__ »

Hey Levi o/

Could you elaborate/explain the specifics of your situation? (what cards did you have and action(s) being taken and if they were targeting you specifically or not).
I like Coup.
__Mac__

Post by __Mac__ »

I think I know what mightve happened (give or take)

Soooo..

Yes, ANY 1 action (EXCEPT for 'income' - take 1 coin from treasury) CAN be challenged.. ONCE per interaction/attempt.

Ex: P1 attempts to STEAL 2 coins from P2 (well just say P2 is you, Levi) claiming they (P1) has a captain.
Say P3 'challenges' P1's STEAL attempt, believing P1 doesnt have a captain. P1 reveals they DO have a captain, and therefore shuffles the captain back into the draw pile, draws a new card and simultaneously P3 permanently reveals one of their influence/cards.

At this point, P1 has already shown they DID have a Captain and therefore CANNOT be challenged again.

P1's steal attempt against you (P2) still has not been resolved yet so you are left with only two choices:
1. Let P1's steal go through (therefore you forfeit 2 of your coins or if you only have 1 then you forfeit that 1 coin OR
2. You (P2) can choose to attempt to 'counter'/block P1's steal attempt by claiming u have either Ambassador or your own Captain (whether u have either, both or none).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extra info:

Note/reminder: ONLY the targeted player can COUNTER an action. (Exception a Duke can block/counter any other players' FOREIGN AID attempt). Ex: If P1 attempts an assasination/steal against you (P2) then P3, P4, P5 etc CANNOT block/counter the assassin/steal attempt.

ANYONE can 'challenge' an assasination/steal attempt only if the targeted player has not attempted a counter action first.

Edit: grammar, tmi etc
I like Coup.
__Mac__

Post by __Mac__ »

TLDR: Any player can 'challenge' any action/counteraction ONCE per action/counteraction. (save for basic income of 1 coin and/or a 'foreign aid' attempt which can only be blocked by any player claiming a Duke. You cannot block your own foreign aid attempt by claiming you have a duke, lol).

A challenge can only be issued if a counteraction has not taken place yet. (Ex: No one can 'challenge' P1's 'steal' attempt if P2 has already attempted a block/counter claiming ambassador or capt).

Feel free to ask and/or have me elaborate certain explanations (:
I like Coup.
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

Challenges: Any player can challenge. You can't challenge actions that don't make any character claim (Income, Foreign Aid, Coup, and some actions in the variants).

Counteractions: Only the target of an action may block. If a player claims the Captain to steal from you, then any player (including you) may challenge and/or you alone may block.

Return to “Coup”