Stone Age: should I use workers or people?

Discussions about the original English text
Inaofr

Stone Age: should I use workers or people?

Post by Inaofr »

Hi,

I'm the current coder for Stone Age.
Many sentences in the legacy code are using 'people' while others are using 'workers' for the same thing (the meeple you can place on the board). I have seen in the translation system that 13 English sentences with workers were corrected to use people instead and one with people was corrected to use workers instead.

Which one is best/correct?

Some samples:
- "${actplayer} must place some workers" vs "${actplayer} must place some people",
- "${player_name} places ${nbr} workers on ${zone_name}" vs "${player_name} places ${nbr} people on ${zone_name}",
- "Total number of people" vs "Total number of workers".

Also some sentences with people were corrected to use person (surely because people is plural) :
- "Each people gives you 1 die." vs "Each person gives you 1 die."

Please answer only if you are a native English speaker.
KongKing123

Re: Stone Age: should I use workers or people?

Post by KongKing123 »

The official English rulebook says 'figure', so you should use that: https://images.zmangames.com/filer_publ ... _rules.pdf. The words 'worker' and 'people' are not even mentioned anywhere.

In French, it's also 'figurine': http://justtoplay.free.fr/images/jeux/L ... Pierre.pdf

In the Dutch rulebook this was translated to 'stamleden' (= 'tribe members'), which I personally like more because it's more thematic, but that shouldn't be a factor.

I'm not a native speaker, though I don't see how that would discredit my response.
Inaofr

Re: Stone Age: should I use workers or people?

Post by Inaofr »

As people is semantically and most of the time grammatically correct and was predominant, it was decided to keep it as players are used to it.
Workers was changed to people.
Worker and person were changed to "people figure".
These changes won't appears immediately, the translation system is not a real time system.

Return to “English - en”