Change proposal! (wait, dont ignore!) :o

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
__Mac__

Change proposal! (wait, dont ignore!) :o

Post by __Mac__ »

Tldr, for a 4 player game, two cards are permanently flipped face up for everyone to see and then everyone is dealt their two cards as usual. I came across this idea in the link below:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/995650 ... layer-game

I'd like to 'polish' this idea by proposing:

-For a 4 player game two cards are permanently flipped face up for everyone to see BEFORE everyone gets dealt their two cards. If two of a kind are flipped (ie two contessa) then shuffle one of the cards back into the deck and flip another card). Repeat if there is still a two of a kind.

If three players are playing (I dont recommend but will mention for accessiblities sake) then flip four cards face up. If any three of a kinds are flipped then shuffle one of those cards back into the deck and flip another until no three of a kinds are present).

Pros and cons (imho):

Pros:

1. The game doesnt become a COMPLETE or heavy bluff fest.

While bluffing IS a core part of the game so is logic, card counting and process of elimination. With less overall cards revealed there is less info to go around and forces (more so) aim less guessing vs someone calling four different roles in five turns ^^'
Yes, by end game theres plenty of info to go off of.. but until then its a bluff heavy game.

2. The game becomes more 'accessible'.

Going off of what I mentioned above, any less than five players is not as fun. (I've personally noticed that 90% of all bga coup rooms the host wants five players total. I too almost always want a coup session of five players).
The issue here is waiting for five and ONLY five players.
Five players is quite a few for a game that is (sadly and very surprisingly) not as popular as other games and limiting (There has been soooo many times that ive had four players total ready to play and then we wait... and wait... and wait..... for the fifth player to showup five minutes later or (more commonly) for someone to leave by then Dx

With more people willing to play with four players (assuming this change becomes a thing) it makes the game more accessible to more people!

3. With this change the game almost becomes a 'variant' as having info right off the bat is different (but not 'bad' different though this is my opinion).

4. This change would (unintentionally) help newer players learn the importance of card counting (and how simple it is in this game!).

Cons:

1. This change might be a turn off to some veteran players as they might complain that having TOO much info right off the bat is a bad thing.

If anyone would like me to elaborate anything i've mentioned here please feel free to ask!
Also, feel free to comment your pros/cons to this idea (:
I like Coup.
__Mac__

Re: Change proposal! (wait, dont ignore!) :o

Post by __Mac__ »

For the sake of 7 or more players (and to simplify this proposal even more and if youre that insane to play with that many people lol) Simply reveal and deal everyone cards in such a way that the deck always ends up with five cards left (as to keep the Ambassador 'balanced').
I like Coup.
__Mac__

Post by __Mac__ »

Another idea for 3 player games: Play with only two of each character (for a deck total of 10 cards)? Thoughts?
I like Coup.
voriki

Post by voriki »

Are those Official Rules, or House Rules?

I assume you can guess by this question, whether your proposal would be fulfilled or not.
__Mac__

Post by __Mac__ »

voriki wrote: 17 February 2021, 09:40 Are those Official Rules, or House Rules?

I assume you can guess by this question, whether your proposal would be fulfilled or not.
Often times balance changes start out as "house rules".. until they become "official" (i'm sure you've seen/read the "contessa blocks inquisitor" change that started out as a house rule). :D

I assume you can guess by this change PROPOSAL, whether this is offical rules or not.
I like Coup.

Return to “Coup”