Selecting dices counter intuitive

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Mojoword

Selecting dices counter intuitive

Post by Mojoword »

Selected dices roll, and I find it very counter intuitive. I see the red outline and x, but only after being disappointed when the dices I selected start rolling, I remember the meaning.

I’m pretty sure after a lot of games it will become a new habit, but to be honest, to me it is a reason to not play this game anymore.

Am I the only one or do more players experience that selected dices should stay, not roll?
BlookyTheFurry

Re: Selecting dices counter intuitive

Post by BlookyTheFurry »

Well, you select the dices than click in roll again. Looks good for me ;3
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

I do think it would be more intuitive to select the ones you want to keep, but that would also take more clicks. I assume that's why it was implemented this way.
varietyCH

Post by varietyCH »

Counter intuitive as well.

I played it with a friend who is new to Online Boardgames and he told me the same.

I know Yahtzee impkementations from other websites and games like the one on Switch and it's always the other way., therefore you have to mark the dices you wish to keep. As in a real life game: You take the ones you keep aside and then roll the others again.

At least it should be an option.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

varietyCH wrote: 22 November 2020, 23:41 As in a real life game: You take the ones you keep aside and then roll the others again.
Or you pick up the ones you need to roll again, and either push the ones you keep to one side or roll in a new area.

"Intuitive" is based on previous experience. (I mean, how intuitive is ctrl-c and ctrl-v, inherently, but every text box now needs to support those keys.) Changing from select rerolls to select ones to keep would cause massive confusion, and making an option to do either would not only cause massive confusion, but require rewriting the entire selection procedure of the game.
twenty9oh7

Post by twenty9oh7 »

Much easier to roll all 5, if need be, when it is set up to click the dice you wish to keep. I have gotten used to it, but it is opposite of every other virtual rendition I have played.
zoomboom

Post by zoomboom »

Jest Phulin wrote: 23 November 2020, 01:45
varietyCH wrote: 22 November 2020, 23:41 As in a real life game: You take the ones you keep aside and then roll the others again.
Or you pick up the ones you need to roll again, and either push the ones you keep to one side or roll in a new area.

"Intuitive" is based on previous experience. (I mean, how intuitive is ctrl-c and ctrl-v, inherently, but every text box now needs to support those keys.) Changing from select rerolls to select ones to keep would cause massive confusion, and making an option to do either would not only cause massive confusion, but require rewriting the entire selection procedure of the game.
That's laughable to think that giving the player the option would cause massive confusion.

You're either not a programmer, or still just a novice one, if you think it would be a huge change to give that option...

Just need to add code to do this : If user chooses option to click the dice to keep, then automatically select all 5 dice to be re-rolled.

Then any click they do on a die will de-select it, so it will keep that one.
varietyCH

Post by varietyCH »

Is the developer still developing this implementation or is it abandoned?
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

varietyCH wrote: 08 March 2021, 23:16 Is the developer still developing this implementation or is it abandoned?
He appears to still be active on the site, but I don't think he's still doing much development: https://boardgamearena.com/player?id=31590088 (https://boardgamearena.com/team)
epski

Post by epski »

Mojoword wrote: 11 November 2020, 23:21 Selected dices roll, and I find it very counter intuitive. I see the red outline and x, but only after being disappointed when the dices I selected start rolling, I remember the meaning.

I’m pretty sure after a lot of games it will become a new habit, but to be honest, to me it is a reason to not play this game anymore.

Am I the only one or do more players experience that selected dices should stay, not roll?
Agreed. This messed me up many times before I got used to it. I've played hundreds of games of Yahtzee in my life, and the action I've always taken is to put my hand on the dice I want to keep and place them in the tray that came with my game, then roll the ones left behind. The analogue at BGA would be to select the dice I want to keep and then, when I roll again, the unselected dice roll, while the selected dice remain, well, selected. It would even be clearer if the selected dice moved to a separate "tray", leaving the unselected dice in their own area to be re-rolled. Not a huge deal, but I do think this is among the many weird BGA UI quirks that take some adaptation to get used to.

Return to “Yahtzee”