ELO

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
T72on1

ELO

Post by T72on1 »

Winning this game gives only 1 ELO, even in a multiplayer game. I don't think that's the case in any other game here on BGA, not even close. So it seems so wrong. Is this working as intended, and if so, what's the reasoning behind it?
RicardoRix

Re: ELO

Post by RicardoRix »

it's a co-op game.
Unless you want a barrage of 'Abandon now to protect my ELO' player activity.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Same Elo mecanism for The Crew.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Ok, thanks. I figured that was the reason. Still not sure if it's necessary though. Hanabi is co-op too. Doesn't have such a low ELO rating. Lower than other games probably. But not nearly as low as 1 ELO per victory.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Yes, I think Hanabi lead the way to show how ELO and co-op games don't really mix.

Just a small sample of very active threads:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 02&t=16406
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 02&t=12940

Top Players with a profile message:
About me
I don't abandon Hanabi games - even if vital cards lost.

And Hanabi player groups devoted to the cause:

https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=159 ... on=members
ABOUT HANABI SKILLS - 2B OR NOT 2B
The world of Hanabi is in a critical situation at this point of time. Sham masters have arisen, growing like wild weeds, and abandonment is far too common and tolerated. In the midst of this chaos, there is still hope: the top elites has gathered together in attempt to weed out those charlatans. Today, we united in attempt to identify those precious gems, who are buried amongst their counterfeits, in order to give them new hope and to make our world a better place!

---HOW TO USE THIS GROUP---

Aims:
- Promote good sportsmanship (good manners, no abandoning, etc.)
- Platform for discussion and learning (yes masters can learn too!)
- Improve skills
- Meeting and getting to know reliable Hanabi players
- Forming a list of players who follow similar ideas in playing Hanabi
- Finding people who like discussing the game on a high level

This group is for experienced Hanabi players who know how to play and make few mistakes. :) Please keep debates friendly and treat other players with respect. If you make a lot of mistakes, or frequently do not follow the game, or frequently abandon games, you might be removed from the group.

Also, please report to a group admin all forms of cheating (or other misbehavior) you notice, including (but not limited to) table talking and private/secret communication of card information. We take cheating very seriously, and you will be removed from the group and in case of a BGA rules violation reported to the site administrators.

Guidelines for this group:
1. Be friendly, be sportsmanlike
2. No abandoning for ELO-boosting. Social reasons are accepted (i.e. someone has to go), but abandoning related to bombing, bad luck etc. are only acceptable if ELO is off.
---> Just because someone else proposed to abandon does NOT count as a social reason. Show courage!
---> Also, each player agreed at game start to finish the game. Abandoning requires an unanimous vote for a reason.
3. Play your best and try to improve :)
4. Discuss the game to learn and not to blame someone. Don't feel blamed when someone starts a discussion.

If you want to join or you (as a member already) think someone else should be in our group, you can message any of the admins privately. All nominated players will be reviewed by the admins before getting invited.
Frenchben

Post by Frenchben »

Is that why we don't get gift points for our first legitimate victory? Because it is a cooperative game?
ufm

Post by ufm »

RicardoRix wrote: 13 November 2020, 09:28 Yes, I think Hanabi lead the way to show how ELO and co-op games don't really mix.
And the same thing is going on Forbidden Island.
Frenchben wrote: 19 November 2020, 17:44 Is that why we don't get gift points for our first legitimate victory? Because it is a cooperative game?
Because BGA does not award gift points for 'tied' games. Not related to ELO.
This is absurd, but the bug is present for years. Win a solo mode and you will get 5 gift points.
Spring_Hyacinth

Post by Spring_Hyacinth »

ufm wrote: 20 November 2020, 01:13
RicardoRix wrote: 13 November 2020, 09:28 Yes, I think Hanabi lead the way to show how ELO and co-op games don't really mix.
And the same thing is going on Forbidden Island.
Frenchben wrote: 19 November 2020, 17:44 Is that why we don't get gift points for our first legitimate victory? Because it is a cooperative game?
Because BGA does not award gift points for 'tied' games. Not related to ELO.
This is absurd, but the bug is present for years. Win a solo mode and you will get 5 gift points.
I've won both solo and multiplayer mode and never got my 5 gift points.. I also really enjoy Hanabi and Hanabi's system seems more reasonable than this, I feel like 1 ELO per game is just too low...
ufm

Post by ufm »

Spring_Hyacinth wrote: 03 February 2021, 01:59 I've won both solo and multiplayer mode and never got my 5 gift points.. I also really enjoy Hanabi and Hanabi's system seems more reasonable than this, I feel like 1 ELO per game is just too low...
Due to the changes in training mode, now you can gain 5 gift from coop games only when someone quits or concedes in a 2-player game.

Return to “Bandido”