Both symbols of a decoration match.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Beardou

Both symbols of a decoration match.

Post by Beardou »

Hello,

During a game of teotihuacan, I managed to place a decoration tile with both symbols matching.
The rules said that :

"While placing the tile, check the icons you are covering. For each
icon being covered by the same icon on the Decoration tile, score
1 Victory Point.
If you scored 1 Victory Point for an icon that is red ,
green , or blue on the Decoration tile (the colour of the
icon that is being covered does not matter), also advance on the
corresponding temple."

I though i will move up on both temple but I had to choose which one of the temple I want to move up.
It is me who don't understand correctly the rule ? Or there is a mistake on the script of the action ?

Thank you for reading me.
jmcl99

Re: Both symbols of a decoration match.

Post by jmcl99 »

If you do an action (such as you describe) that entitles you to an advancement on more than one temple then the game asks which temple you want to advance on first (and second if you got all 3 temples advanced). This may be important because you may want to get a resource from one temple before claiming a discovery tile on a different temple.
It is probably worth checking the replay for the game in which you did this but you should find that you got both temple advancements.
Beardou

Post by Beardou »

I feel dumb, indeed the second temple progressed automatically by 1.
Thank you for the answer !
Lemminkainen

Post by Lemminkainen »

It's a little odd, but well implemented. Your player marker will advance on both temples simultaneously, but you won't notice anything if you are just getting cocoa (green) or points (red). You will notice a prompt to collect resources (blue) or take discovery tiles.

Regarding decorations they can be worth as little as 3 points, which is the base for no matches, 4 with one match, and 5 with both matching. In addition with tech tile #09 you will score an additional +4 points. So the decorations can range in points from 3-9 (although never 6 :D ).

I've never seen anyone ever bother wasting a move to get 3 points and no temple advances. The worker stacking advantage on board (7) works to reduce gold cost. If the decorations board is on the right side of the map, and particularly if gold is also before decorations on the right as you move clockwise, you will see players hammer out decorations quite often, often leaving two workers on the board and either double jumping back around or ascending frequently in order to keep hitting the board for a cost of only -1 gold.

Return to “Teotihuacan: City of Gods”