$(You) in Finnish: Genitive or nominal form?

Suomenkielinen käännös
Murrur

$(You) in Finnish: Genitive or nominal form?

Post by Murrur »

Most of games in BGA use genitive form of you in translations (Sinun) but the translation is in nominal form (Sinä). This results most translations being wrong. This means most correct finnish translations on the site are wrong and sound bad.

I don't know where this translation is located, but it'd be handy if it was "Sinun" or "Sinä/sinun" instead of just Sinä.

Ideal case would be that the translators could write in the correct word somehow, e.g. $(You=Sinun), and it'd display the latter correct translation.

English equivalent for situation is using "your" and "you" in wrong places. for example "Your must choose token" or "You token is not on board" (instead of You/Your)
rexroom

Re: $(You) in Finnish: Genitive or nominal form?

Post by rexroom »

Murrur wrote: 07 December 2020, 13:21 I don't know where this translation is located, but it'd be handy if it was "Sinun" or "Sinä/sinun" instead of just Sinä.
Nah, changing the ${you} to "Sinun" or even "Sinä/sinun" would just break existing translations, the latter being just clumsy. It really doesn't solve the problem, more like moves it into a different location. I do like the option of changing the default value in the translation, but how do you implement that is another question. Maybe a more painless way is to have a genitive and nominal form yous in different scalars, but then the question arises what are those board game programmers gonna do? But that's for devs to solve.

In the meantime I've taken the stance of trying to fit the sentence to the nominal form. So far using "Sinä joudut" has proved to work quite well. I could also just use "Sinä voit", but then I'd have to think if the game has room for optional actions. Changing the tone is not without its problems.
0n1

Post by 0n1 »

You can be also mean "Te" if used as second person plural.
rexroom

Post by rexroom »

Well now, according to the big news about coming updates along the year:
BGA wrote:We will try to improve translations and support for pronouns in the next version
So I guess we can expect to see greater control in future updates.
patsyish

Post by patsyish »

'You' can be:

sinä
sinun
sinut
sinulle
te
teidän
teidät
teille
Te
Teidän
Teidät
Teille

... and these are only the most common possibilities :D
Siu! :)
patsyish

Post by patsyish »

How does the variable "${You}" function?

Is it possible simply omit the variable "${You}" and replace it with "Sinun" directy?

${You} must.

= Sinun täytyy.
patsyish

Post by patsyish »

I might be better to replace '${you}' simply with 'you' and let the tranlator to tranlate it correctly.
patsyish

Post by patsyish »

Voisko nyt korvata 'you' käännöksen 'sinä' käännöksellä 'sin' ja laittaa '${you}ä' tai '${you}ut'?
rexroom

Post by rexroom »

patsyish wrote: 17 February 2023, 15:47 Voisko nyt korvata 'you' käännöksen 'sinä' käännöksellä 'sin' ja laittaa '${you}ä' tai '${you}ut'?
EI. Et todellakaan.

"${you}" ei muutu muuksi kuin "Sinä", joten joudut yksinkertaisesti mukautumaan siihen. Joten jos teksti on tyyliin "${you} must play a card.", suosittelen vahvasti kääntämään se muotoon "${you} pelaat kortin." tai "${you} voit pelata kortin."
patsyish

Post by patsyish »

rexroom wrote: 17 February 2023, 19:10
patsyish wrote: 17 February 2023, 15:47 Voisko nyt korvata 'you' käännöksen 'sinä' käännöksellä 'sin' ja laittaa '${you}ä' tai '${you}ut'?
EI. Et todellakaan.

"${you}" ei muutu muuksi kuin "Sinä", joten joudut yksinkertaisesti mukautumaan siihen. Joten jos teksti on tyyliin "${you} must play a card.", suosittelen vahvasti kääntämään se muotoon "${you} pelaat kortin." tai "${you} voit pelata kortin."
Kyllä muuttuu: ei tarvitse kuin editoida Ä-kirjain pois. Mutta miksi ihmeessä siellä edes on määritelty vakioksi sana, joka pitää kääntää eri tilanteissa eri tavalla?!!

Return to “Suomi - fi”