Tournament module 2020 UPDATES: Multiplayer Elimination

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Draasill

Tournament module 2020 UPDATES: Multiplayer Elimination

Post by Draasill »

--------------

Update : the multiplayer elimination mode is now in beta and accessible to everybody. Thanks a lot to all the early testers :)

--------------

Hi,

after the Swiss System V2 mode for tournaments, we're happy to introduce the "Multiplayer Elimination" mode !
  • Each match, a number of players are qualified for the next round¹
  • Like the new Swiss System, it can allow any number of player per game. It's like the "single elimination" mode, open to multiplayer games.
  • This mode is in Alpha, and in need of testers.

This time we'd like you to create these tournaments in alpha mode.

Please post an answer if you are interested in creating such a tournament, I'll give to some of the volunteers a special link with the ability to access the multiplayer elimination mode.

Thanks for your interest !

-----
¹ It's up to the tournament creator to set the number of players who will be qualified to the next round.
Since a lot of combinations are possible, there may be some exceptional cases where, in the end of the tournament, this number can be adapted in order to play a last game with all the remaining players.

Edit: this tournament type has been renamed into "Multiplayer Elimination".
LSC

Re: Tournament module 2020 UPDATES: Bracket Elimination

Post by LSC »

Can you explain what does it means by "Bracket Elimination"?
wehmsi

Post by wehmsi »

Draasill wrote: 10 December 2020, 09:14 Please post an answer if you are interested in creating such a tournament, I'll give to some of the volunteers a special link with the ability to access the bracket elimination mode.
¹ It's up to the tournament creator to set the number of players who will be qualified to the next round.

Yes, I am also interested, volunteer to organize for 6nimmt, 5 players
but :

- can we define the number of players qualifying for next round set as "2,5" or even different from one round to another
2 from pool A
2 from pool B
+ the best third of A / B

- can we have a system of our own ranking/ input a list of seed players? to avoid a shuffled draw

- define our own tiers

Thanks for your support!
Wonderful Plays

Post by Wonderful Plays »

Draasill you are doing an excellent job with these updates. Thank you very much for your hard work!
Draasill

Post by Draasill »

Hi,

Ok, "bracket elimination" is a bad name, it's actually "group elimination", which is often used in tournaments "brackets" up to a final phase, hence my confusion.

For now "pools" are not implemented, but there is a very high limit (512) of players so it's yet to be reached =)

As it is in alpha, it's subject to changes (and to bugs !), thank you for your feedback; and of course you can publish the tournament links in this thread.
Wonderful Plays wrote: 10 December 2020, 23:10 Draasill you are doing an excellent job with these updates. Thank you very much for your hard work!
Thank you, that's very nice to read !
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

Draasill wrote: 10 December 2020, 09:14 Hi,

after the Swiss System V2 mode for tournaments, we're happy to introduce the "Bracket Elimination" mode !
Loving the changes. Would be happy to setup a few tournaments.
mumpsimus

Post by mumpsimus »

Would love to host a test elimination tournament for Rallyman (which has up to 6 players per game).
LSC

Post by LSC »

Draasill wrote: 11 December 2020, 08:39
For now "pools" are not implemented, but there is a very high limit (512) of players so it's yet to be reached =)
If you want to see the limit (512) of players to be reached, that is not difficult. Move to something like the prestige points in the old days which gives higher rewards to winners of bigger tournament, and let those bigger tournaments float up the list in the tournament section so that everyone knows, then you will see it.

Carcassonne is very popular in BGA, and you can see the following tournament has 421 players, the highest number of players I know in BGA tournaments.
King of Carcassonne • World Cup 2018
https://en.boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=15554

Since the pandemic happened, lots of new Carcassonne players join the BGA community. I originally expected this record could be broken. But the new XP system implemented. It awards the same XP of big tournaments as small tournaments, and the list in tournament section just follow the sequence of the tournament starting time. Big tournaments created early is kept at the bottom of the list. The number of players drops to 263 in this year. (Thanks that there are still lots of Carcassonne enthusiast to keep this tournament a big one.)

King of Carcassonne • World Cup 2020
https://en.boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=39106

I frankly ask you to put back the old system (or invent a new one that has these good features) unless you don't want to see tournaments that brings so many people together.
mumpsimus

Post by mumpsimus »

I created a 6-player Rallyman tournament to test the new bracket elimination here: https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=69082 in case anyone wants to follow along, or join the fun! :)
DavidBadalona

Post by DavidBadalona »

i try to create a big tournament of dice forge in this alpha version, but the big problem is that people sign up.
i can create directly or need your aphirmative answer?

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”