Show Running Totals

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Gislef

Show Running Totals

Post by Gislef »

The fact that WtNLV lack this, and Welcome To doesn't, is a near-endless source of irritation to me. BGA has already done the programming to display running totals, on the similar Wt score sheets, there are spots for the running totals. But they stand empty until the end of the game. What's the point of displaying blank spaces for 99% of the game. Was the space reserved for some future addition? If so, let us know.

WtNLV is out of "beta" mode, so presumably there aren't going to be any fixes to it. If there are, this would be the one to move. WtNLV has more scoring options, so knowing the running totals is more important than Wt. Not less.

Thanks!
Gislef
Tisaac

Re: Show Running Totals

Post by Tisaac »

Gislef wrote: 18 December 2020, 19:31 The fact that WtNLV lack this, and Welcome To doesn't, is a near-endless source of irritation to me. BGA has already done the programming to display running totals, on the similar Wt score sheets, there are spots for the running totals. But they stand empty until the end of the game. What's the point of displaying blank spaces for 99% of the game. Was the space reserved for some future addition? If so, let us know.

WtNLV is out of "beta" mode, so presumably there aren't going to be any fixes to it. If there are, this would be the one to move. WtNLV has more scoring options, so knowing the running totals is more important than Wt. Not less.

Thanks!
The two games were not made by same dev, that explains all the differences you are spotting when comparing the two games ;)
Gislef

Post by Gislef »

Shouldn't developer B be looking at developer A's work? Otherwise, what's the point of a shared site?

Also, the scoring sheet disappears to show the premium scoring field, a second after the end games. So the scoring sheet seems to literally do except for a "blink and you'll miss it" second". Am I missing something? I can see the final totals, but now how the values added up.
Gislef
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Gislef wrote: 22 December 2020, 06:19 Shouldn't developer B be looking at developer A's work? Otherwise, what's the point of a shared site?

Also, the scoring sheet disappears to show the premium scoring field, a second after the end games. So the scoring sheet seems to literally do except for a "blink and you'll miss it" second". Am I missing something? I can see the final totals, but now how the values added up.
Developper B is no longer maintening the.game...
Jurica took over the job but he is very busy with othe r stuffs on BGA
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

In real-life you don't know your opponents running scores, so new las vegaes is a better board-game adaption IMO.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

RicardoRix wrote: 22 December 2020, 12:04 In real-life you don't know your opponents running scores, so new las vegaes is a better board-game adaption IMO.
There is no reason to not know other scores and IRL you can look at other scoresheet as much as you want. For a competitive aspect, running scores are much better since computing scores is definitively not the main skill of this game.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

AFAIK There is nothing in the rules to say you can look at other people's score sheets.
There is also nothing in the game adaption to let you do this, and no-one has complained.
IRL if someone every turn goes around looking at everyone elses sheets and making notes of their score, they will not be invited back to play again in my house. My presumption is that no-one else is ever doing this either, and BGA guidelines intend to try and bring the same board-game experience of playing the game IRL.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

RicardoRix wrote: 22 December 2020, 13:01 AFAIK There is nothing in the rules to say you can look at other people's score sheets.
There is also nothing in the game adaption to let you do this, and no-one has complained.
IRL if someone every turn goes around looking at everyone elses sheets and making notes of their score, they will not be invited back to play again in my house. My presumption is that no-one else is ever doing this either, and BGA guidelines intend to try and bring the same board-game experience of playing the game IRL.
What are you talking about ? There is an icon under each player name to show its score sheet in both games. And of course that was asked and approved by the publisher.
Your presumption is completely wrong, there are many competitive players of these games and where you are playing in a competitive way you need quick access to other scoresheets and relevant informations that are available to all (majorities, near to completion plans, near end of game, ...)
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Tisaac wrote: 22 December 2020, 13:48 What are you talking about ? There is an icon under each player name to show its score sheet in both games. And of course that was asked and approved by the publisher.
Your presumption is completely wrong, there are many competitive players of these games and where you are playing in a competitive way you need quick access to other scoresheets and relevant informations that are available to all (majorities, near to completion plans, near end of game, ...)
Fair enough, but this is nothing like how the game plays in real-life.

This is personally not something I'd like to have in the adaption. Probably means I would not like to play this game competitively because of this.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

RicardoRix wrote: 22 December 2020, 15:02
Tisaac wrote: 22 December 2020, 13:48 What are you talking about ? There is an icon under each player name to show its score sheet in both games. And of course that was asked and approved by the publisher.
Fair enough, but this is nothing like how the game plays in real-life.
Well that depends a lot about who you are playing with. I agree this game can be played casually with each player just playing on his own scoresheet without taking care about other. But I've also played several times with some competitive friends and/or with small numbers of players (4 max) and I can guarantee you start looking a lot at what other are doing on their scoresheet to take your decision mid game or near end of game.
I don't think running scores ruin the UX of casual players, so if that helps competitive players, I'm ok with that. On the other hand, I've had several discussion with competitive players that would like extra info and already rejected couple of them that I think would make the UX worse for casual players by displaying too much info they don't bother about.

Return to “Welcome To New Las Vegas”