Slight bias in the game?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
PaleHorse

Re: Slight bias in the game?

Post by PaleHorse »

Thank you Mike--now, is it possible for you to determine how many times this 4 of a kind phenomenon has happened to me in all the games I have played here?
MikeIsHere

Post by MikeIsHere »

Not easily
You can review your history here
https://boardgamearena.com/gamestats?pl ... finished=0

But you would have to go game by game, then hand by hand to see if the two hands have the same four ranks
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

PaleHorse wrote: 27 February 2021, 02:43 So, I have played another 20-25 games since my post and and the number of times there is four something per hand (see my original post) has only INCREASED. This happens often enough that I have had to alter my play strategy to anticipate it happening!! In real life, this should only happen, on average, once every 20-25 games (at least in my experience). Here, it happens AT LEAST every other game, I've even had it happen twice in the same game!
I can't be the only one this happens to. I'm no programmer but this is broken in some way. No doubt at all about it.
It’s more likely that people aren’t randomising the cards properly in your real life games!

You are falling into the perception trap that “random = mixed” but truly random sequences can produce 4 of the same card very easily. As others said - remember that the hands crib and turn up together are a quarter of the deck! It’s not surprising that quite often one of the thirteen cards finds itself with all four in the same quarter.
TheRedWalrus

Post by TheRedWalrus »

I think this topic is quite interesting. I'll have to wholeheartedly agree with Mesprilla, Levydrogo & PaleHorse. I've played Cribbage for about 40 years and the hands you get here on BGA are unbelievable. They are not at all like you get in real life. I've never seen so many hands where players are scoring 16 or more points. The game is still fun, but it's completely different than a 'real' game. I'm sure people will continue to defend the code, but the issue that PaleHorse raises is very common - and not at all like a 'real' game of cribbage. Again, I'm not saying the BGA version isn't still fun, just completely different...
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

shuffle the cards better at home..?
TheRedWalrus

Post by TheRedWalrus »

Thanks for the snarky reply Ricardo - I expected nothing less. You don't have to be so defensive about the BGA version. It's ok to admit that it's not the same as a true 'real' game. It has nothing to do with how I (or the many others I've played with over the years) shuffle the cards. Anyone who has played in real life and is being honest would have to admit that there are differences in playing it online verses playing a 'real' game.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Not really being defensive, just objective. If you have evidence then we'll all look at it.
The shuffle can be the only difference between real-life and playing here on BGA. So I'm meeting that fact head-on.
But if you're going on perception, then there's also the possibility that you're playing against better players here on BGA that can score more points.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

TheRedWalrus

Post by TheRedWalrus »

Thanks again for your unhelpful response Ricardo. Just keep defending the code. I was merely stating that I've seen the same issues with this version that others have also noted. It has nothing to do with the quality of players, rather, it's an issue with the cards both players are receiving.
I'll keep practicing my shuffling skills. haha
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

TheRedWalrus wrote: 21 April 2022, 16:10 Thanks again for your unhelpful response Ricardo. Just keep defending the code. I was merely stating that I've seen the same issues with this version that others have also noted. It has nothing to do with the quality of players, rather, it's an issue with the cards both players are receiving.
I'll keep practicing my shuffling skills. haha
Unhelpful?

Yes, so we agree the shuffling is the only difference between BGA and real-life.
There is nothing else.

Return to “Cribbage”