connect 4 new board size

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
mrdoctor

Re: connect 4 new board size

Post by mrdoctor »

Wait, who the heck would take Connect 4 seriously enough to sit on BGA and cheat at it? It's just my default mindless 'filler' game!
ypaul

Post by ypaul »

I guess the point is that if it can be done, then some people would attempt it. Cheating is a huge problem in pure strategy games like chess for example, and most serious sites ban countless numbers of accounts daily because of it.

Due to the nature of BGA hosting this many games, I don’t think it’s their responsibility to try to implement anti-cheat mechanisms for specific games, but the fact that it isn’t as easy to cheat gives some people some peace of mind. Of course, it won’t be foolproof, but the standard 6x7 board is possibly a bit too well-studied for its own good from the perspective of people trying to solve it computationally.
ufm

Post by ufm »

The problem is, the developer who implemented Connect4 on BGA has left the building.
Someone may take over to catch critical bugs (color preference, no player order swap in rematches) or add new board sizes, but who will?
ypaul

Post by ypaul »

ufm wrote: 26 July 2021, 23:05 The problem is, the developer who implemented Connect4 on BGA has left the building.
Someone may take over to catch critical bugs (color preference, no player order swap in rematches) or add new board sizes, but who will?
I also think it’s unlikely that someone might actually implement it, but it’s worth getting the idea out there anyway. As you said, it doesn’t have to be the original developer that does it. If someone who has the skills and time to do it happen to stumble upon this thread and feel strongly about it enough to do it, then it might actually end up happening. I believe that this discussion is useful to have regardless.
ufm

Post by ufm »

ypaul wrote: 28 July 2021, 07:59
ufm wrote: 26 July 2021, 23:05 The problem is, the developer who implemented Connect4 on BGA has left the building.
I also think it’s unlikely that someone might actually implement it, but it’s worth getting the idea out there anyway. As you said, it doesn’t have to be the original developer that does it. If someone who has the skills and time to do it happen to stumble upon this thread and feel strongly about it enough to do it, then it might actually end up happening. I believe that this discussion is useful to have regardless.
Actually it was I who had the skills and time to make it happen :P
Timo-Schwach

Post by Timo-Schwach »

good job :idea: and well done and thank you :D
SluggerBaloney

Post by SluggerBaloney »

Deleted

Return to “Connect Four”