ELO configuration

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Tisaac

Re: ELO configuration

Post by Tisaac »

yfimc wrote: 01 October 2022, 13:44 is a fix for crew / deep sea crew elo still in the works? it would be great to be able to play with others of similar skill. i bet more people would play if it were possible.
Or as other said, it would just turn out in a complete toxic community like the Hanabi one.
Wreckage wrote: 06 February 2023, 08:44
Tisaac wrote: 20 September 2021, 10:28 I cannot offer a constant ELO gain at the end of a game at the moment.
Tisaac, I'd like to thank you for all your work on both of these Crew games. With each mission having different rules it must have been a ton of work, and your work is excellent!! I've enjoyed a lot of hours playing.

In Regicide ufm set a specific ELO gain according to the settings. For instance, 2p default settings will gain 2 players 24 ELO every time, regardless if the players have 0 ELO or 6000 ELO. He has set up a specific ELO bonus for each setting adjustment, so that on those settings you know exactly what your ELO gain will be if you are successful. Your current ELO is irrelevant.

I don't know what's possible. My suggestion is to gain 0.1 to 5.0 for each of the missions (.1 X the mission number). Then add a bonus for the number of missions played during the session (making playing longer attractive). Then have a subtraction for failed attempts. The subtraction would have to be adjusted differently according to the level of the missions. I would help figure this out better, if it's interesting to you.
You can propose a suggestion like this, bui I need some upvotes on it before being convinced by this and implement it.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

After thinking about it for a few minutes, I don't think my suggestion would work very well. I could make it a formula that makes gaining ELO a nice struggle, with reasonable penalties for failing missions, but there's a problem with any equation that gives a straight + or - for completing or failing missions. Your current ELO must be part of the equation, making it more difficult for masters to gain, so that a player's ELO reaches an equilibrium. Without that, there is no ceiling for good players who can gain ELO.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Tisaac wrote: 06 February 2023, 11:59 You can propose a suggestion like this, bui I need some upvotes on it before being convinced by this and implement it.
It's the second top suggestion already: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=25683
If you want another suggestion to be posted, I'm afraid of it getting buried instead as there are many other upvoted suggestions and posts everywhere.

Anyway, the issues must be dealt with and proposed solutions are

1. Rewarding the longer play and preventing quits after a short time
-> make in-game score (used to calculate rating change) proportional to the game length

2. Avoid game abandon issues
-> prevent possible rating loss (no Hanabi-style bot rating, no negative score)

I think the best suggestion possible in BGA framework I found is Adavayn's idea:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 344#p91344
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

If there's no negative score, you might as well leave it like it is. Only positives doesn't indicate skill at all.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Wreckage wrote: 13 February 2023, 07:46 If there's no negative score, you might as well leave it like it is. Only positives doesn't indicate skill at all.
Repeating my answer from here: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 25#p130825
A proper 'ELO' doesn't and cannot exist in BGA co-op now (emulate ELO and you'll see a bunch of abandoned games soon).
After all, BGA co-op rating shouldn't be called 'ELO' if it doesn't work like ELO.
So now I don't use 'ELO' while talking about co-op ratings. I consider it as an XP meter instead.
With adjustments better players will accumulate it faster, and no need to leave the game after only 1~3 missions just for rating.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Is an adjusted scoring system in the works?
Last edited by ChiefPointThief on 28 May 2023, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
DrRockenheimer

Post by DrRockenheimer »

As a newcomer to all this... the underlying problem is the lack of a casual mode for play across all of BGA. Because of the ratings, regular play mode is a magnet for arguments between casual and competitive players, which casual players cannot escape even in this cooperative game! And competitive players cannot escape to arena or tournaments when those modes do not exist.

Regardless, "ELO" in The Crew is effectively an experience system, and tuning it a bit to better reflect the amount of actual experience gained through playing seems to be the least bad option right now.

Return to “The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine”