Which gender to use in German translations

Deutsche Übersetzung
AnnickW

Re: Which gender to use in German translations

Post by AnnickW »

I agree that it would be very useful to stop replacing 'zijn' altogether in the Dutch translations, so we can use the very common verb 'zijn' again in the translations, instead of working around it all the time.

A genuinely neutral pronoun instead of 'zijn/haar' would be nice, but choosing 'die/hen/hun' and automatically replacing this word, would still be just as problematic in Dutch, because all of those words also have a different meaning in a different context.

In general, I think the best option would be to use a ${thing} and replace it with the user's preferred pronoun.
Een

Re: Which gender to use in German translations

Post by Een »

AnnickW wrote: 16 June 2021, 07:43 I agree that it would be very useful to stop replacing 'zijn' altogether in the Dutch translations, so we can use the very common verb 'zijn' again in the translations, instead of working around it all the time.
This has been done already.
AnnickW wrote: 16 June 2021, 07:43 In general, I think the best option would be to use a ${thing} and replace it with the user's preferred pronoun.
As explained in a previous post, this is not possible as it assumes a specific grammar that is not the same in all languages, and would make sentences in some languages impossible to translate correctly.

I'll close this thread as it's now obsolete.

For a description of the replacement system for gender management in translations, please see this reference post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21387

For discussing changes to the replacements with other translators in your language, then request them from admins when/if a consensus is reached, please use a thread specific to your language: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21384

Return to “Deutsch - de”