Amazing vocabularies

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Billy Pilgrim

Amazing vocabularies

Post by Billy Pilgrim »

It's pretty amazing to me the vocabularies of the people who play this game.
ufm

Re: Amazing vocabularies

Post by ufm »

Knowledge is power, literally, in word games.
Daanando

Post by Daanando »

ufm wrote: 01 February 2021, 13:46 Knowledge is power, literally, in word games.
and when it comes to knowledge, books are the nuclear bombs of power.
Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim »

i must admit, i sometimes wonder if online anagram finders are sometimes the nuclear bombs of power
Salvidrim

Post by Salvidrim »

There's not much that can done to counteract people cheating with scrabble finders / anagram solvers; perhaps only playing real-time with short time control would mitigate, but playing turn-based with virtually unlimited thinking time, there's little difference between an amazing vocabulary and an external tool. I feel like that's an inherent flaw of online games in general.
Mando Din Djarin

Post by Mando Din Djarin »

i must admit, i sometimes wonder if online anagram finders are sometimes the nuclear bombs of power
Especially when the person in question is not a native English speaker and doesn’t respond to anything in the chat. Are they actually enjoying the game?
ufm

Post by ufm »

Mando Din Djarin wrote: 14 April 2021, 22:00
Especially when the person in question is not a native English speaker and doesn’t respond to anything in the chat. Are they actually enjoying the game?
Probably enjoying beating other poor strangers senseless rather than the game itself. I already encountered one in Hardback too (and that user racked up infamy in Arena mode also).
Marianne1

Post by Marianne1 »

I don't even understand what enjoyment could be gained by using a computer program to generate words. I agree with the earlier poster - real-time games with shorter turn lengths might help a little. However, I find that folks who use such cheat programs are fast players - not slow ones.
Mark Ellis

Post by Mark Ellis »

I imagine that simply the thrill of the win and ranking points is what motivates some players to do this. I'm curious, what do folks do when they suspect this is happening? I like playing slow/turn-based and think time limits would actually punish me far more than an anagram-user.

I've had a game or two in Letter Tycoon or Hardback where I've had my suspicions... several unusual, exotic or technical words are played in succession, each coming from vastly different arenas of life. You begin to wonder whether you are facing a genius or a fraud. You glance at their other playing statistics and start leaning towards the latter. But you can never really be sure. If you question them directly or imply something in the game chat, you will seem a sore loser and likely meet with flat denial. You can give them a silent down vote, but there's still a slim chance the player might be innocent. So how do these players acquire their infamy? I guess in a 3-player arena game you can share your suspicions with the 3rd player and see if there is a pattern over time?
Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim »

The way I dealt with it was that I just stopped playing letter tycoon! Maybe i am underestimating the english vocabularies of some of my brothers and sisters for whom it is a second language, but just the suspicion ruined the game for me. And there are plenty of others to play :D

Return to “Letter Tycoon”