Fixing Uxmal 2 / limit to 20 corn on market

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs

Fixing Uxmal 2 / limit to 20 corn on market

Poll ended at 26 February 2021, 08:50

Must be added and should be mandatory
26%
Must be added but I or my opponents may be able to avoid the rule using an option
63%
Must not be added
11%

Total votes: 469

joshpit2003

Re: Fixing Uxmal 2 / limit to 20 corn on market

Post by joshpit2003 »

The fact that the game designer is saying to play this way is reason enough for me to vote it as "mandatory".
Otherwise, if it is implemented as optional, I agree with others that it should be default.

Good luck.
jnads

Post by jnads »

If I buy the game off the shelf today, it is not a rule in the box, so I believe it should be a "Variant rule".

However, because it is a recommended rule by the designer, I'm for default enabling it.
Lambatatte

Post by Lambatatte »

I haven't played many games against supernatural players, but I've done some ... this "bug" literally makes my favorite game into something not enjoyable. It feels like a long time ago I read one of the creators, Daniele Tascini, writing about this rule on BGG, that you should play with the Uxmal 2/Corn Limit 20 because otherwise the game isn't balanced.
_Josephus_

Post by _Josephus_ »

I have no problems having this as an optional extra.

However, I feel that default rules should always reflect the current printing of the game.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

UPDATE

The variant has been added, for now as an option which is not by default.

We'd like first to have your feedback on it. Then, we are going to ask CGE if we should make this option the default despite this is not in the written rules. If they didn't plan to change the written rules in the future, the probable answer will be no, in the contrary this will probably be yes.
Andrew Davidson

Post by Andrew Davidson »

I tried this out in a game just now. Only the trading limit seems to be implemented. I'm not convinced that it makes a big difference as most everyone still went for resources. The Uxmal gambit seems more significant and does not seem to have been changed.

Another factor in the dominance of resource trading is that the strategy tips here tell people that this is the way to play. If there are actually more strategies then the tips should reflect this.

What's really needed is the expansion -- Tribes & Prophecies. Here's what's said about this on BGG:
To me, this is the true value of the T&P expansion. The base game only has the Starting Tiles and order in which the buildings are drawn to make it feel different each time you play it. And no matter what those turn out to be, the Resource Tech then Building strategy is still the one most likely ways to win. So, if you play the base game over and over, the game can feel a bit stagnant.

The T&P expansion adds the needed salt to the game to provide solid re-playability. By introducing a unique ability to each player by way of a Tribe, you drastically alter the strategy one must play from the very beginning (including choosing Starting Tiles)...
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 16 February 2021, 22:20 I tried this out in a game just now. Only the trading limit seems to be implemented.
Honestly, what were you expecting?
Andrew Davidson wrote: 16 February 2021, 22:20 I'm not convinced that it makes a big difference as most everyone still went for resources.
Maybe not so much on low to medium player level, on high level, this rule makes a HUGE difference. I recommend to watch any close game between high-level players.
Andrew Davidson wrote: 16 February 2021, 22:20
The Uxmal gambit seems more significant and does not seem to have been changed.
Why do you think that limited resource trade would make the so called Uxmal gambit more significant?
Andrew Davidson wrote: 16 February 2021, 22:20 If there are actually more strategies then the tips should reflect this.
There are a ton of more strategies. Again, I recommend to watch games between high-level players.
Andrew Davidson

Post by Andrew Davidson »

dschingis27 wrote: 16 February 2021, 23:33 Honestly, what were you expecting?
I was expecting a fix to the Uxmal gambit -- the common opening move in which the first player puts all their workers into the Uxmal wheel -- as that seems more broken. I was getting that from the thread title starting "Fixing Uxmal", you see, but now I see that it just means Fixing Uxmal 2, i.e. trading.

I still reckon that implementing the expansion is what's needed to give the game legs but that would obviously be more work.
BrutL

Post by BrutL »

Accidentally played this variant. Turns a fun strategy game into a slow nightmare. Get rid of this ASAP. Uxmal now more clogged than ever.
dark_phoenix

Post by dark_phoenix »

Would some mind clarifying how this actually works? Uxmal 2 allows two-way trades, and everything is denominated in corn, e.g. 2 wood→4 corn → 1 gold. So what does a 20 corn limit mean?

Return to “Tzolk'in”