Tournament sleep mode

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Wigparty

Tournament sleep mode

Post by Wigparty »

I was recently playing in a Yahtzee tournament and several people were from other countries. They put their games on night/sleep mode and it was paused until the morning. I looked everywhere but I couldn't find a way to pause my turn during the night. Can anyone tell me how to do it?
sprockitz

Re: Tournament sleep mode

Post by sprockitz »

This is part of the tournament setup. A tournament creator can setup a tournament to have playing hours (a 12 hour block when the clocks run). Then the other 12 hours would be the 'sleep mode' you describe.
Gregeor

Post by Gregeor »

Is that something the user has to turn on? I just got skipped in a tournament because the other three players were all in Europe. So one of them would move and then it would sit for 4 hours until I got up. So even though I play all day long it kept saying I was out of time. The tournament hours say 08:00 → 20:00. That should have meant I was awake and playing at all times. Yet, they decided to end the game "because its a tournament and they want to win".

Is there some setting I could have set to avoid having my clock run outside of those hours? Or are those hours not my time zone?
Cheery Dog

Post by Cheery Dog »

The tournament page itself is the only place that doesn't convert it to your local time, just to be confusing.
Gregeor

Post by Gregeor »

Ah ok, I understand the server time is France? GMT+0. I'm GMT+5 so 8-20 would actually by 3am-3pm. That would explain where all my time went any move at 8am in France would sit for 5 hours until I was ready to play at 8am. Lesson learned.
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

France is UTC+1 currently, or UTC+2 in summer.
Mealsy

Post by Mealsy »

What I don't understand is why I was able to be kicked from the game during these 'sleep' hours?
Keegan the Squirrel

Post by Keegan the Squirrel »

Does the sleep hours concert from one country to the other or does it mean the person in the opposite country has to play at odd times?
Silene

Post by Silene »

Keegan the Squirrel wrote: 03 September 2022, 05:16 Does the sleep hours concert from one country to the other or does it mean the person in the opposite country has to play at odd times?
It's at the same time for everyone. But that doesn't mean you have to play at odd hours. It means you need to check the settings before joining a table/ tournament.

However what cheery dog says is new to me. Is it really true? That would indeed be an unfortunate bug. Hope it gets fixed soon.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Mealsy wrote: 13 April 2021, 12:09 What I don't understand is why I was able to be kicked from the game during these 'sleep' hours?
People can still play during the sleep hours if they want to. And if you went over time before the game went into sleep mode, any other player could enter the game during sleep mode while it was still your turn and kick you out.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”