What's next?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Lunalol

Re: What's next?

Post by Lunalol »

gusgibson wrote: 10 March 2021, 14:41 but I cant help wondering - the rulebook for USE is 50 pages plus 50 page playbook, paths of glory is roughly 20 pages - it does seem like paths of glory would be an easier lift than use cards and all - but of course i dont know the interface like you do
Path of glory is in my sights.
In all case, I (we) need to contact GMT or/and authors to have licence.
On BGA, nothing is published without licence.
cpt_von_ondine

Post by cpt_von_ondine »

Paths of Glory would be great on here. Love the game.

Another is Empire of the Sun. Meets some of your criteria. WW2 but Pacific Theatre (for a change of pace). Vassal module. Several scenarios. Drawbacks are it too is card driven and also a little more complicated than Paths.

Asia Engulfed and Europe Engulfed are 2 WW2 games that are not card driven. I have not played them so can't comment on how good they are. There's Vassal modules for both.
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

I have tried Empire of the Sun on Vassal, it seems really hard, I'm afraid he scares most of BGA players.
Asia/Europe Engulfed: never tried, I will look at them.
cpt_von_ondine

Post by cpt_von_ondine »

Yea, EotS has a steep learning curve and is beyond what the majority of BGA users are used to in terms of complexity. Wishful thinking I guess on my part.

Looking at the USE announcement comments though it does look like adding these types of games would bring in more users. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to pursue. Thanks.
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

cpt_von_ondine wrote: 28 March 2021, 23:15 Yea, EotS has a steep learning curve and is beyond what the majority of BGA users are used to in terms of complexity. Wishful thinking I guess on my part.
We are thinking along the same lines
cpt_von_ondine wrote: 28 March 2021, 23:15 Looking at the USE announcement comments though it does look like adding these types of games would bring in more users. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to pursue. Thanks.
That's why I take advice from players
Kaxte

Post by Kaxte »

I would love Paths of Glory.
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

And what about Liberty Roads and Victory Roads, any opinion.
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

I have not played, looking at reviews they seem quite traditional hex and counter and it would be nice for USE not to be the only example. You seem much keener on WW2 in Europe than expanding to another theatre and ultimately success depends on your enthusiasm so that seems more important than the details. I would suggest Liberty Roads because the fighting across France is something that USE sells a little short.

In fact as a general point, from a player's point of view I would prefer to see WW2 European theatre games that complement rather than compete with USE. So USE does a good job representing the logistical issues of amphibious invasion and represents well the Eastern Front (especially 1941) and the final defensive battles to Berlin, so I would prefer games that cover the bits it doesn't do particularly well (or rather doesn't cover in any detail) - the campaign in North Africa, France 44, the fighting in Italy, the Battle of Britain, etc.
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

Another game which is very highly regarded is Ardennes '44, a much lower scale game, by the looks of reviews of a similar over-all complexity to USE

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/138819 ... bulge-game
cpt_von_ondine

Post by cpt_von_ondine »

Between those 2 I would be more interested in Liberty Roads as well. I agree with RobertBr though, whichever one you are most enthused about is going to be best choice.

Paths of Glory has been mentioned several times, but if you are set on WW2 then take a look at World War 2: Barbarossa to Berlin. It is the WW2 version of Paths of Glory. It is card driven though. I know you mentioned that might be a drawback. On the other hand it looks like the point to point map and smaller number of units would be easier to program than Victory Roads or Ardennes. Looks like Victory Road and Ardennes have a lot of different units that I image would add to the complexity of the programming. There is a Vassal module for WW2: Barbarosa to Berlin.

Return to “Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe”