Takenoko - Second edition FAQ

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Bonkys

Re: Takenoko - Second edition FAQ

Post by Bonkys »

I agree with the masses here. I don't like or agree with the changes. It totally changes the strategy of the game. Not being able to stock pile improvements is silly. It's just all luck and a roll of the dice now. Can't really plan any moves now. The graphics are hard to read. Bad rule that the gardener has to be on the tile. This game used to be fun. Why change it. Please offer the unimproved version back. And I was just about to go premium so I could play Takenoko without waiting. But I think that's ruined for me now. Please change it back!
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

Why are so many people not able to read? :?
sourisdudesert wrote: 17 March 2021, 11:37 Is the First Edition still available on BGA?

Yes, you can select it as an option when starting the game.
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

Bonkys wrote: 15 April 2021, 16:01Please offer the unimproved version back. And I was just about to go premium so I could play Takenoko without waiting. But I think that's ruined for me now. Please change it back!
It's already the case. The first edition was never made unavailable, you just have to select it in the set up options if you manually create tables, or put Never on "play with the second edition" if you use the automatic mode of BGA.

The only place where you don't have the choice is Arena. If I understand correctly, this kind of option can be changed with a poll for the next season.
qwertasdfg

Post by qwertasdfg »

MoiMagnus wrote: 15 April 2021, 16:52
Bonkys wrote: 15 April 2021, 16:01Please offer the unimproved version back. And I was just about to go premium so I could play Takenoko without waiting. But I think that's ruined for me now. Please change it back!
It's already the case. The first edition was never made unavailable, you just have to select it in the set up options if you manually create tables, or put Never on "play with the second edition" if you use the automatic mode of BGA.

The only place where you don't have the choice is Arena. If I understand correctly, this kind of option can be changed with a poll for the next season.
I doubt they change it with anyone poll. Because just look at this season: normally, beta games aren't available in arena. So it should be obvious that the beta variant shouldn't be available in arena either. But it's not only available: it's the only version available...

When they make that choice against normal site rules, they'll surely do that choice against any polling,too
SneakyTurtle2

Post by SneakyTurtle2 »

First ever (real) game of takenoko was with the new edition and then to compare it I played the old one. I found out that if you don't know the game by heart it is really hard to see what the symbols are for the improvements on the cards and tiles, that is cleared in the new edition (albeit a bit on the clean side). Some rules made quite some sense with the new version, it felt more natural to only play irrigations when you need one, same for improvements (it is not obligatory to play them), it also made more sense to be able to place them on tiles wich already had bamboo on them. So for this part: great! On the other hand: the need of having the gardener on the plot when you play those objectives makes it really hard sometimes. Especially when you have an objective of 2 tiles with three pieces of bamboo, and then you have a tile with no improvements, with growing and one with no eating improvements next to each other: impossible to complete.

So overall: I like the new version because it is more clear but I do get it if you are used to the old one it really is a different game
Bonkys

Post by Bonkys »

You must have to be premium to select the 1st edition of Takenoko. I went to set up a table manually and I don't see where you can select the 1st edition or select "Never".
skittle8788

Post by skittle8788 »

I love Takenoko. It's the game I was looking to play online when I found this website several years ago. The redesign is nice, but I don't like the updated rules. The gardener having to stand on the plots to complete the object card makes it harder. Also not getting store my irrigation or improvements hurts. I feel that this makes the panda card strategy even easier to win. When I see that the correct number of bamboo is on the card, but then have to move gardener on it that changes the number of bamboo. This makes getting the 4 green spots with 3 bamboo each almost impossible. I will continue to play it and hope that my feeling change. I still love board game arena.
Olivierb44

Post by Olivierb44 »

Hello everybody.
I saw in the rules of the new edition "If there are no more improvement, you can move an improvement already placed." However, on somes of my games, the dice made "cloud" and I wanted to put in improvement on a tile but the games tells me something like "there is no more of this improvement" but I didn't manage to move an improvement already placed. Did I missed something? Someone has an idea of what I am doing wrong?
Sorry if I am not very clear in my explanation and thanks for those who will answer me.
Olivier

Bonjour tout le monde.
Dans les règles de la nouvelle édition, il est indiqué "Si il n'y a plus d'améliorations, vous pouvez bouger une amélioration déjà en place". Cependant, sur quelques unes de mes parties, le dé a fait pluie et j'ai voulu placer une amélioration sur une tuile mais le jeu me disait "il n'y a plus de cette amélioration" et je n'ai pas réussi à bouger une amélioration déjà en place. Ai-je raté quelque chose? Quelqu'un a t-il une idée de ce que je fais mal?
Désolé si je ne suis pas clair et merci aux éventuelles réponses.
Olivier
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

Olivierb44 wrote: 19 April 2021, 13:06 Hello everybody.
I saw in the rules of the new edition "If there are no more improvement, you can move an improvement already placed." However, on somes of my games, the dice made "cloud" and I wanted to put in improvement on a tile but the games tells me something like "there is no more of this improvement" but I didn't manage to move an improvement already placed. Did I missed something? Someone has an idea of what I am doing wrong?
Sorry if I am not very clear in my explanation and thanks for those who will answer me.
I was confused by this at first, also. But this may clear it up: You may only move an improvement if there are no improvements left of any type. So, if you want to put down a fence, but there are no more fences, that doesn't mean you get to move a fence. If there are some springs left, you have to place one of those instead.
Olivierb44

Post by Olivierb44 »

Thanks for this very speed answer that totally clear things for me. Indeed, like you have guess I was thinking "If there is no fence left, I should be able to move a fence on the board", I didn't understood that all the 3 improvements of the 3 kinds has to be placed to be able to move one.
Thank you very much CB Droege!

Return to “Takenoko”