Takenoko - Second edition FAQ

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Tisaac

Re: Takenoko - Second edition FAQ

Post by Tisaac »

AnthonyL wrote: 29 March 2021, 17:57 Not liking this new version. Quite apart form unnecessary rules changes, the new graphics are incomprehensible. You could say I just don't like change. But I would say I simply don't like change for the sake of it. When it's not broke, don't fix it. And it wasn't broke.
That's your opinion, I personally do believe it was broke on several aspect. So once again it's a matter of what many,/most players think and the forum wont be a good place to have a feeling about that because it's way too biased.
Ross_B

Post by Ross_B »

Tisaac wrote: 29 March 2021, 18:42 That's your opinion, I personally do believe it was broke on several aspect. So once again it's a matter of what many,/most players think and the forum wont be a good place to have a feeling about that because it's way too biased.
Well, the first post of this subject is also asking for returns on the new rules, so it might a good place to do it.
If not, where would be the right place, because i'd like to make some returns.

After playing a couple of games, with groups I play regularly here, I have some bad returns on the new rules.
The fact you need the gardener in the required tiles to validate gardener objectives is awful, and makes gardener objectives almost as painful and useless as tiles one, so it's even more the panda objectives run than before.
Placing improvements as soon as you draw then is annoying (as you don't even choose when you draw them).
Moving improvements around and placing them on tiles with bamboos is nice for the player doing it but very frustrating for the opponent. Scoring gardener objectives is already a chore now, so when it's ruined by am improvement move, it's frustrating.

On the other hand, rain allowing to make bamboo on non irrigated tiles is nice, even not super useful.

On the communication around the beta implementation, it was awful. We started a new game and didn't even know rules had changed.
I thought just the design has changed, until i tried to validate a gardener objective and failed, to discover the rules had changed and struggled a good moment to find the new ones.
Beta rules shoudn't be the default setting but an option to select, not the other way around.

On the visual side, if the new design is more colorful, overall i find it less readable, especially the new symbols on tiles.

Overall, between the visuals being not great and the new rules being confusing to find and feeling more annoying than solving any issue I wasn't even aware of, that second edition is a miss for me.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Ross_B wrote: 30 March 2021, 12:10
Tisaac wrote: 29 March 2021, 18:42 That's your opinion, I personally do believe it was broke on several aspect. So once again it's a matter of what many,/most players think and the forum wont be a good place to have a feeling about that because it's way too biased.
Well, the first post of this subject is also asking for returns on the new rules, so it might a good place to do it.
If not, where would be the right place, because i'd like to make some returns.
That's definitively the best place to do so! I only wanted to point out that saying stuff as "game is broken/not broken" is very subjective and thus is probably not very useful as a feedback. On the hand, describing frustratring rules as you and other did is great.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

all the rules on the site are still for the old version. cannot find new version rules anywhere. Putting this out as the new version and the version for arena yet not having the rules be clear is very frustrating.
BrunoVV

Post by BrunoVV »

I'm not a fan for now. I think these rules introduce more "luck of the draw" and more player confrontation.
I.e. starting with taking an additional objective is no longer an option, there is no good second move. The only thing you can do is place a tile. Not the good one for you?, too bad.
Having to place improvements immediately also makes it so that this is a useless action when you get it in the beginning, more luck...
Having to place irrigation when you take it means you telephone your intentions, so more griefing...
Been working on that gardener objective? an opponent swoops in and adds or removes an improvement...You don't roll one? too bad.

So more luck, more confrontation, a very different game.
despelbinder

Post by despelbinder »

I tried the Second Edition toady. I'm not a fan of the new rules regarding the immediate placing of improvements. The immediate placing of irrigation, however seems an improvement. The new rule for scoring the gardener cards is stupid in my opinion. I had a gardener card that I could not score, and I tried for more than 7 rounds. But when you play with four players, you can end up getting nowhere, unless when you can take the same action twice.

I understand that it makes the game harder and maybe more tactical, but that's not what the game should be in my opinion. This is a beautiful lightweight family game. With the new rules, younger player could get very frustrated.

One improvement, and it's a big one for me: Symbols for the colors of the bamboo. I'm colour blind and the yellow and green pieces are difficult to distinguish. I have the same problem with the real game. It would be nice of the bamboo sections in your inventory also had the symbols. That's the place where it's most needed for me, because the icons are small and adjacent to another.
Cataclysme

Post by Cataclysme »

Mais qui a massacré le Takenoko en inventant des règles qui n'ont jamais été dans le jeu de plateau ????

Hallucinant !! Plus de stockage des aménagements et irrigations, le jardinier doit être sur la parcelle pour réaliser l'objectif, mais où avez vous été chercher tout ça ?? Quelqu'un a demandé au créateur du jeu au moins ??

Sans parler du graphisme désolant des tuiles...

Rassurez moi, c'est juste pour une saison d'arène ou c'est définitif ???
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

Cataclysme wrote: 10 April 2021, 08:55 Hallucinant !! Plus de stockage des aménagements et irrigations, le jardinier doit être sur la parcelle pour réaliser l'objectif, mais où avez vous été chercher tout ça ?? Quelqu'un a demandé au créateur du jeu au moins ??
Oui, c'est le créateur qui a demandé. C'est la deuxième édition officielle, que les créateurs ont décidé de tester sur BGA avant de la vendre en physique. La version physique devrait être disponible en magasin "bientôt".
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

I gave it some time to sink in. But really ... no, just no. I don't like the version at all.
RedCaptain

Post by RedCaptain »

I just wanted to give my feedback now that my friends and I have played 2nd edition- we weren't expecting the changes and it was not a particularly fun game night experience. The new graphics aren't as pretty/look harsher imo. The rule changes alter the strategy considerably. I would like to suggest making the original version the default, with the 2nd edition as an option, instead of the other way around.

Return to “Takenoko”