Takenoko - Second edition FAQ

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Lennishion

Re: Takenoko - Second edition FAQ

Post by Lennishion »

Firstly, I wish there was some more information about changes, I was really surprised when I saw new design, and even more surprised when I had to place the improvements immediately. I rarely look up things at forum and I have to this time to find out what are the new rules!
I am not sure how I feel about new rules, they might be good for balancing the game better, but it would definitely make it much harder and longer – I always treated this game as relaxing, quick one. So I would love to have and options to chose between editions (as e.g. in 7 Wonders).
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

Lennishion wrote: 22 March 2021, 11:17So I would love to have and options to chose between editions (as e.g. in 7 Wonders).
It is already possible (there is an Second Edition / Original Game choice). Though like for 7 Wonders, arena will probably only use the new edition.
The weird things about this release are:
(1) The second edition became the default despite being still in Beta. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Beta option be the default in a non-Beta game. And I definitely think that was a poor choice.
(2) Since the second edition has yet to be released IRL, the rulebook pdf is still the one of the old edition, and I'm not even sure the new rulebook is available online.
andouie

Post by andouie »

Je commence à m'habituer à la version bêta mais je n'aime pas qu'on ne voit plus les cartes complétées passer dans l'écran. On ne voit pas bien quand l'autre joueur en fait et encore moins quand il complète sa partie et que c'est le dernier tour. Ça fait 2 fois que je me fait avoir et que je perd à cause de ça.
littlemy64

Post by littlemy64 »

The new version of Takenoko is ridiculous! I just tried to complete the gardener objective where 4 strands of bamboo have to be only 3 pieces tall which is no mean feat in itself only to discover that in order to achieve it you also need to have the gardener on one of the plots! I know it's a high scoring card but very difficult to achieve and virtually impossible. :(
Krudler

Post by Krudler »

Love the original game but the new rules are horrible.
You must place immediately improvements and irrigations when you get one.
Why? Storing these for future use was a part of the strategy of the game. This forces players to just guess.

You can place an improvement on a tile even if there is bamboos on it.
Once again this reduces strategy. Makes gardener objectives easier, which are already the highest scorers. I assume this is necessary because of the first horrible and unnecessary rule change.

To validate gardener objectives, the gardener must be located on one of the tiles corresponding to the objective.
Once again why? How does this improve the game. It means you cannot use storm, lightning or just moving a panda to achieve a gardener objective. Once again this reduces the strategy element of the game. It also makes achieving objective with 3 bamboo stacks nigh on impossible.

None of these rules improve the playing experience just get rid of them.
PS I do like the new card and tile design.
livael

Post by livael »

Good morning,
without intending to offend anyone on this forum, you have distorted this excellent game and therefore I will not play it again

too bad, why change what works? The number of posts is an admission that it was not accepted.

Or make two versions if you like this one so much. So that the others can find their joy of yesteryear!
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

livael wrote: 28 March 2021, 14:10 Or make two versions if you like this one so much. So that the others can find their joy of yesteryear!
(1) The old version is still available. Just select the "original game" option. (Or if you play in automatic, put "Second edition" to NEVER). You might have a harder time finding a table if players don't follow you on that.

(2) BGA is just implementing the rules that have been given by the publisher, this was not an initiative from BGA itself. I'm perplexed that the publisher decided to "try" those new rules on BGA even before releasing them on a physical copy of the game. Assuming your sentiment is shared by many (which seems to be the case on this forum), I hope some feedback will reach the publisher and that they will amend the second edition (physical and digital) or work on a third one.
Deuce Heart

Post by Deuce Heart »

I hope that you're right and the publisher is using BGA as a way to get feedback on the new rule set before publishing a second edition. That said, I am going to try and find a way to contact them directly, as I have my doubts they're following this comment thread. :)
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

MoiMagnus wrote: 28 March 2021, 14:17 Assuming your sentiment is shared by many (which seems to be the case on this forum),
Really not sure about this, as usual "haters gonna hate" and there are the ones that will post on the forum, not the ones happy with it (expect a few). So for a popular game like this one, I find not that many negative posts so far.
AnthonyL

Post by AnthonyL »

Not liking this new version. Quite apart form unnecessary rules changes, the new graphics are incomprehensible. You could say I just don't like change. But I would say I simply don't like change for the sake of it. When it's not broke, don't fix it. And it wasn't broke.

Return to “Takenoko”