Consider an option to remove Uline from play?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
GoGabeGo

Consider an option to remove Uline from play?

Post by GoGabeGo »

Maybe it will get better as time goes on and people get more familiar with the game, but man does she slow things down. I played a game today where someone grabbed her as the first hero and it almost doubled the length of the game. The other players still have their time to figure out how they want to bid and then the Uline player gets prompted 4 times throughout the turn and has to stop and think every time. It is unfortunate because I want to try her out, but I also don't want to annoy my game mates since I am a slow enough player as it is.

Does anyone else share this? Should there be an option to remove that specific hero? Thoughts?

~ Gabe
Tisaac

Re: Consider an option to remove Uline from play?

Post by Tisaac »

GoGabeGo wrote: 17 March 2021, 22:36 Maybe it will get better as time goes on and people get more familiar with the game, but man does she slow things down. I played a game today where someone grabbed her as the first hero and it almost doubled the length of the game. The other players still have their time to figure out how they want to bid and then the Uline player gets prompted 4 times throughout the turn and has to stop and think every time. It is unfortunate because I want to try her out, but I also don't want to annoy my game mates since I am a slow enough player as it is.

Does anyone else share this? Should there be an option to remove that specific hero? Thoughts?

~ Gabe
Just pick the "first game" choice for the "heroes" option then !
GoGabeGo

Post by GoGabeGo »

What does that option do? I want there to be heroes, just not that specific one.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

GoGabeGo wrote: 17 March 2021, 23:43 What does that option do? I want there to be heroes, just not that specific one.
As explained in the rulebook, it removes the three "advanced" heroes : Uline, Thrud and Ylud.
GoGabeGo

Post by GoGabeGo »

Tisaac wrote: 18 March 2021, 00:01
As explained in the rulebook, it removes the three "advanced" heroes : Uline, Thrud and Ylud.
Perfect. Thank you for pointing that out.
muttstain

Post by muttstain »

I think she is broken, particularly in a 3-player game. Way too powerful in addition to making the game take much longer. The other 2 seem fine, so a shame to have to take them out too just to get rid of her.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

muttstain wrote: 12 April 2021, 17:59 I think she is broken, particularly in a 3-player game. Way too powerful in addition to making the game take much longer. The other 2 seem fine, so a shame to have to take them out too just to get rid of her.
Have you tried playing with the expansion. I really don't think Uline is that strong wrt to other strategies.
Clavariag

Post by Clavariag »

Definitely not broken; even without the expansion I have beaten Uline several times.
Also, removing her would deviate from the published game which BGA implementations
are not supposed to do.
Serilo

Post by Serilo »

Clavariag wrote: 15 April 2021, 02:19 Definitely not broken; even without the expansion I have beaten Uline several times.
Indeed. Picking Uline means NOT picking any hero with ranks. That's quite dangerous.
That does not mean that Uline is bad. If Uline is bought late - during the second round, especially by someone with 25 and other good coins...
The only broken heroes are Zoral and Aral- especially Zoral. Not having one of them is... problematic, especially at sub-4 player counts.

Return to “Nidavellir”