Suggestion: Remove New Olympia from Competitive Play

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
laggercat

Re: Suggestion: Remove New Olympia from Competitive Play

Post by laggercat »

I'm a bit late to this, but its true: Olympia B is awful. Here are stats from over 18,000 results:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/269712 ... unbalanced

Removing Olympia should not be done before banning Hali B, however.
Laplace_314159

Post by Laplace_314159 »

Agree, Olympia is the bottom of the barrel.

Ironically, the only times I've won competitively with Olympia is when I got the sense that everyone else is thinking, "she's Olympia, and it never wins, so I don't mind passing good cards to them" and they focus on blocking everyone else. And by the time people realize I could actually win, it's too late. :D
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

laggercat wrote: 09 July 2022, 14:22 I'm a bit late to this, but its true: Olympia B is awful. Here are stats from over 18,000 results:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/269712 ... unbalanced

Removing Olympia should not be done before banning Hali B, however.
I think they need to go back to the drawing board and bring out a third edition, to be honest

And I hope they look at this data before they do
Patrick of the Isles

Post by Patrick of the Isles »

I enjoy the 7 Wonders 2nd edition graphics and some of the small cost changes. However I just cannot get behind Olympia. I understand there are apologists for it, including people who play a lot of 7 Wonders. But I just don't think it's fun sadly.
laggercat

Post by laggercat »

Patrick of the Isles wrote: 20 February 2023, 03:19 I enjoy the 7 Wonders 2nd edition graphics and some of the small cost changes. However I just cannot get behind Olympia. I understand there are apologists for it, including people who play a lot of 7 Wonders. But I just don't think it's fun sadly.
Who are the apologists for Olympia? I have not seen anyone who doesn't think it's terrible.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

laggercat wrote: 24 February 2023, 01:04
Patrick of the Isles wrote: 20 February 2023, 03:19 I enjoy the 7 Wonders 2nd edition graphics and some of the small cost changes. However I just cannot get behind Olympia. I understand there are apologists for it, including people who play a lot of 7 Wonders. But I just don't think it's fun sadly.
Who are the apologists for Olympia? I have not seen anyone who doesn't think it's terrible.
Why don't you read all the replies, from the 1st./3rd. page?
When life gives you a ZeMon, make ZeMonade...
https://youtu.be/YlmKmM3WCpM
laggercat

Post by laggercat »

Ze Monstah wrote: 24 February 2023, 02:09
laggercat wrote: 24 February 2023, 01:04
Why don't you read all the replies, from the 1st./3rd. page?
I don't think any of those are "apologists". I don't doubt that Olympia can sometimes win, and that a good player will achieve this more than a bad player, but its still the worst wonder, at all player counts.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

laggercat wrote: 24 February 2023, 01:04 Who are the apologists for Olympia? I have not seen anyone who doesn't think it's terrible.
laggercat wrote: 24 February 2023, 06:14 I don't think any of those are "apologists". I don't doubt that Olympia can sometimes win, and that a good player will achieve this more than a bad player, but its still the worst wonder, at all player counts.
You said "I have not seen anyone who doesn't think it's terrible."

In this thread there are humans who consider it "not terrible" (page 1 says enough).

Also:
Wonderful Plays wrote: 25 March 2021, 09:17 I don't think Olympia is that bad. It's hard for 3p, but going 4p and up it's not even the bottom wonder.
Opinions apparently are different.

I personally think that people defending the New Olympia just have a slight tendency of getting luckier than others; or maybe they have an unlucky Alexandria B in the game - another fallen Angel of this "extremely improved Ed.".

My opinion: it's more than terrible; it's like a Razzie Wonder Awards Winner. 🍓
And I don't think the one(s) who handled this 2nd. Edition were thinking straight.
Sorry... but that's the truth.
Last edited by Ze Monstah on 24 February 2023, 08:48, edited 2 times in total.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

Also... the fact that now, Zeus' lip corners are curled down (from the previous edition, when he seemed smiling) is NOT A COINCIDENCE!

Return to “7 Wonders”