Official Rules v. BGA Rules re tie

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
kami5

Official Rules v. BGA Rules re tie

Post by kami5 »

Why doesn't BGA follow the official rules? I just had a game where I tied for points and largest territory. For some reason the player with the most crowns received the win. However, I do not see such a rule in the official rules.
BoardNoremac

Re: Official Rules v. BGA Rules re tie

Post by BoardNoremac »

I just did a quick google search and here are the rules I found, I don't have the game or anything though.

"In case of a tie, the player with the most extended property (whether he owns any crowns or
not) wins the game.

If it is still a tie, the player who has the most
crowns wins the game. If there is still a tie anyway, the players share the victory."

I looked at the game I think you were referencing and it looks like you both had an 8 territory so the other player won because they had more crowns.
kami5

Post by kami5 »

BoardNoremac wrote: 26 March 2021, 19:22 I just did a quick google search and here are the rules I found, I don't have the game or anything though.

"In case of a tie, the player with the most extended property (whether he owns any crowns or
not) wins the game.

If it is still a tie, the player who has the most
crowns wins the game. If there is still a tie anyway, the players share the victory."

I looked at the game I think you were referencing and it looks like you both had an 8 territory so the other player won because they had more crowns.
The official rules can be found on the BGA page for Kingdomino, which links to a pdf that states on p. 3, "In the event of a tie, the player with the largest territory (the most connecting squares of the same terrain) wins. If there is still a tie, the players share the victory."

My continuing question is that if these are the rules as stated on BGA's own page, then why are they following a completely different set of rules?
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

I copy here the answer I've put in the other thread at this subject.
Because the English rulebook is wrong.

The French rulebook says:
En cas d’égalité, le joueur qui a construit le domaine le plus étendu (peu importe que ce domaine possède des couronnes ou pas), remporte la partie.
En cas de nouvelle égalité, celui qui a le plus de couronnes remporte la partie.
Si les joueurs n’arrivent toujours pas à se départager, ils remportent tous la victoire.
Which roughly translate to "In case of Tie, the largest domain win. If there is still a tie, the most crowns win. If there is still a tie, victory is shared".
If the English rulebook is missing the second part, since the creator of the game (Bruno Cathala) is French, it is the French rules that are correct and the English ones that are wrong.
Last edited by MoiMagnus on 26 March 2021, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
kami5

Post by kami5 »

MoiMagnus wrote: 26 March 2021, 19:30 I copy here the answer I've put in the other thread at this subject.
Because the English rulebook is wrong.

The French rulebook says:
En cas d’égalité, le joueur qui a construit le domaine le plus étendu (peu importe que ce domaine possède des couronnes ou pas), remporte la partie.
En cas de nouvelle égalité, celui qui a le plus de couronnes remporte la partie.
Si les joueurs n’arrivent toujours pas à se départager, ils remportent tous la victoire.
Which roughly translate to "In case of Tie, the largest domain win. If there is still a tie, the most crowns win. If there is still a tie, victory is shared".
The English rulebook is missing the second part (probably a mistake from the translators), and since the creator of the game (Bruno Cathala) is French, it is the French rules that are correct and the English ones that are wrong.
This is a better answer and explanation, thank you for the French version.

Return to “Kingdomino”