Terrible game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
SquashEngineer

Re: Terrible game

Post by SquashEngineer »

I like Can't Stop. After playing on BGA, I made my own home version with paper and poker chips. I also now play PnP of Cant' Stop Express. What's not to like?
ElGera

Post by ElGera »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't stop laugging
aussie19

Post by aussie19 »

i'm not I now play chess with much more success than this because there is no luck involved except who gets the white pieces and first move.
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

aussie19 wrote: 27 May 2022, 02:51 i'm not I now play chess with much more success than this because there is no luck involved except who gets the white pieces and first move.
Since this is your third post claiming that Cant stop is no fun for you, I looked at some of your games.

In one game you opened with 9+9 / 8+10 and chose 8+10. Unusual but feasable. Your next roll forced you to start a new column. You chose 2, although 6 was available. You then continued the 2,8,10 columns till you bust. Do you know the probabilities of 2,8,10 vs. 6,8,10?

In another game your starting roll gave you 5+5 or 2+8. You chose (the probably weaker) 2+8. The next roll gave you another 2+8. Then you stopped, although you not even had started your 3rd column!

In another game you systematically took 4+9 when you could choose between 4+9 / 5+8 / 6+7.

Since you are a strong chess player I assume that you simply have never taken the time to learn how to optimize your winning chances in Cant stop. Thus you loose more often than you should. Additionally the luck aspect does not suit you - but you cannot keep away from it fully. :-)

Have fun!
voriki

Post by voriki »

euklid314 wrote: 27 May 2022, 05:41
aussie19 wrote: 27 May 2022, 02:51 i'm not I now play chess with much more success than this because there is no luck involved except who gets the white pieces and first move.
Since this is your third post claiming that Cant stop is no fun for you, I looked at some of your games.

In one game you opened with 9+9 / 8+10 and chose 8+10. Unusual but feasable. Your next roll forced you to start a new column. You chose 2, although 6 was available. You then continued the 2,8,10 columns till you bust. Do you know the probabilities of 2,8,10 vs. 6,8,10?

In another game your starting roll gave you 5+5 or 2+8. You chose (the probably weaker) 2+8. The next roll gave you another 2+8. Then you stopped, although you not even had started your 3rd column!

In another game you systematically took 4+9 when you could choose between 4+9 / 5+8 / 6+7.

Since you are a strong chess player I assume that you simply have never taken the time to learn how to optimize your winning chances in Cant stop. Thus you loose more often than you should. Additionally the luck aspect does not suit you - but you cannot keep away from it fully. :-)

Have fun!
Good analysis. The dice are luck-based, but the true game is correctly using the "cards" you're dealt.
majorkerina

Post by majorkerina »

It’s easy to get angry at this game because even if you do everything right it just won’t give you the rolls. I am rather perplexed in 14 games that I haven’t managed to secure ONE SINGLE POINT. I’ve gotten close but other people have zoomed their way to the top faster. In fact I’ll just sit and watch someone roll advance roll advance roll advance roll advance a dozen times flying in the face of chance and good sense. I’ve played risky I’ve played cautious I’ve played the outsides I’ve played the insides and it’s like I’m saddled with the worst luck in human history or the other players have found some advantage that I don’t know yet :/
jenmoocat

Post by jenmoocat »

majorkerina wrote: 19 June 2023, 07:17 It’s easy to get angry at this game because even if you do everything right it just won’t give you the rolls. I am rather perplexed in 14 games that I haven’t managed to secure ONE SINGLE POINT. I’ve gotten close but other people have zoomed their way to the top faster. In fact I’ll just sit and watch someone roll advance roll advance roll advance roll advance a dozen times flying in the face of chance and good sense. I’ve played risky I’ve played cautious I’ve played the outsides I’ve played the insides and it’s like I’m saddled with the worst luck in human history or the other players have found some advantage that I don’t know yet :/
Glad that I am not the only one experiencing just this. It is really frustrating! But I Can't Stop. I was actually wondering if there was something to the idea that the person that goes first has a better chance of winning....
Ranior

Post by Ranior »

jenmoocat wrote: 22 June 2023, 04:59
Glad that I am not the only one experiencing just this. It is really frustrating! But I Can't Stop. I was actually wondering if there was something to the idea that the person that goes first has a better chance of winning....
There is certainly a sizable and meaningful advantage to going first in the game.

As other posters above have hinted at though, there's a lot of decisions in the game that do help. In any individual game, any wild stuff can happen, but in the long run the game really does reward players who have studied the odds a bit and have learned some principles, in aggregate you can make better decisions and fare a lot better.

The skill still caps out obviously, but I play quite a bit and see a lot of mistakes being made by a lot of players consistently. It generally isn't an accident that the players in the low 100's elo are there--they make worse choices consistently than those few that are in the 300+ elo range.
zoomboom

Post by zoomboom »

frogstar_A wrote: 15 March 2022, 23:50
aussie19 wrote: 03 March 2022, 23:00 Totally agree with this post pointless game. The higher ranked player ALWAYS wins and ALWAYS gets the longest good run of the die.
If the game is pointless why are you still playing it?

Have you actually carried out robust statistical analysis of the higher ranking players dice rolls or is it just a “gut feeling” because they usually beat you?

And if the higher ranking players beat you maybe it’s because they consistently play better ie push their luck at the right times and consolidate their gains at the right time and you could learn from that?
The game doesn't log the actual dice rolls. Do you know of an easy way to be able to do such an analysis?

...Why would they not log the dice rolls?

Return to “Can't Stop”