Any way to avoid frequent time slackers?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Philomorph

Any way to avoid frequent time slackers?

Post by Philomorph »

I'm not positive but it seems like the karma system doesn't penalize you for simply running out of time on turns in turn-based games, but only does so if you leave games or get red thumbs.

I've noticed it happening more lately in the last year, so maybe it's a symptom of so many new players joining, but it's uncommon for me to start a game and *not* have at least one player hitting red clock within the first two days of a game. It's getting really frustrating, because these players invariably have 100% reputation, despite having multiple time penalties and sometimes even game quits.

For example, I recently started a new game set to 3 moves a day, and I even added a note to the table asking players to please note the time limits before joining. And now, two days in and we've already got one player 11 hours overdue for a move. The same thing happened last week to one of the games I started, with two separate players hitting red halfway through. In both cases the players all had 100% reps.

Since the karma system doesn't help here, I'd really love to be able to set player restrictions to block anyone that has more than a single time penalty on "recent" games, or something similar. It's not like there's a shortage of players, and plenty of people clearly don't mind playing with slackers because they are playing 10+ games at a time, so not joining my game isn't going to be a burden.

But I only play one or two games at a time, so sitting there looking at a red clock in a 3 or 4 moves per day game is really annoying.

Anyway, I realize this is a bit of a rant and not high on the important world news scale. I guess I just needed to vent and make my suggestion.
MoiMagnus

Re: Any way to avoid frequent time slackers?

Post by MoiMagnus »

One of the main issue with karma penalty is that they don't increase when repeated.
Being kicked out of a game is -20 karma if I remember correctly, so you can "afford" to get kicked out once every 20 games that you do on BGA.

As for being out of time, the current mindset of BGA is that "If no one on the table kicked you out, it means they forgave you so you don't get penalised (more precisely, you don't lose karma, but your don't win the +1 karma that you would have otherwise). But they can kick you out at any time during your turns if they think you are taking too much time."
Philomorph

Re: Any way to avoid frequent time slackers?

Post by Philomorph »

MoiMagnus wrote: 28 April 2021, 18:59 One of the main issue with karma penalty is that they don't increase when repeated.
Being kicked out of a game is -20 karma if I remember correctly, so you can "afford" to get kicked out once every 20 games that you do on BGA.

As for being out of time, the current mindset of BGA is that "If no one on the table kicked you out, it means they forgave you so you don't get penalised (more precisely, you don't lose karma, but your don't win the +1 karma that you would have otherwise). But they can kick you out at any time during your turns if they think you are taking too much time."
Yeah this is the problem. And even getting penalized a couple times won't drop you below the 85% mark which is the max cutoff you can set when starting a game.

I have no problem kicking people out of a game eventually - though I give them 24 hours of red clock before doing so. But usually everyone else then immediately drops so the game is a complete waste of time. Very frustrating and I wish they'd take some of that money from Asmodee and all the new subs from the last year and spend it on improving the structure of the site instead of just blasting more new games out.

Return to “Discussions”