Suggestion: Make Default Dictionary *Not* 12dicts

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
MasN

Re: Suggestion: Make Default Dictionary *Not* 12dicts

Post by MasN »

Just today "capturable" not in 12dicts? This is kind of ridiculous.
kengi

Post by kengi »

Couldn't use QUACKERS, UNTHAWED, or ATOMICS.

Edit: And HEXANE.
Ken Grazier (he/him)
Owner of Geek-Craft
Proud member of Punchboard Media
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

Not great examples you chose here. "hexane" is obviously specialized scientific vocabulary for a particular field, so it's completely understandable why it wouldn't be included in a dictionary of standard English words. The same is true for highly specialized vocabulary from any field (computing, engineering, medicine, etc.)

And "quackers"? Even Merriam-Webster doesn't recognize this. :roll:

Anyway, I stand by what I said before. There's no action to take here. I don't agree the other dictionaries available are an improvement, and building a new dictionary is outside my purview. Refer to the earlier posts in this thread as well as the "how to play" section of the game page for more info.
Mogri

Post by Mogri »

12dicts is fairly unsatisfying to word game fans. I couldn't use "prepend" in a game this week; the examples go on and on. Fortunately, the Scrabble dictionaries are available. You don't have to play 12dicts if it bothers you. Personally, I prefer the Scrabble dictionaries, but not to the extent that I won't play without them.

Thanks for offering a choice of dictionaries. It's great that those who are bothered by weird Scrabble words can play without them and those that aren't can play with a broader vocabulary.
fr13day

Post by fr13day »

Mogri wrote: 24 June 2021, 05:56 12dicts is fairly unsatisfying to word game fans... You don't have to play 12dicts if it bothers you. Personally, I prefer the Scrabble dictionaries, but not to the extent that I won't play without them.
Yes, I'm also willing to play 12dicts, especially in Arena, though I prefer not to. Yes, I do, indeed understand that I don't have to play with 12dicts. Nowhere in this thread or anywhere else have I suggested that 12dicts be removed from BGA. I mention it is a poor choice for the *default* quote-unquote "dictionary." You're right that it's unsatisfying to fans of word games, and the game publisher describes it as a word game. Of the words listed by you, me, and others in this thread, the majority or totality are *not* "weird Scrabble words." There's no objective cutoff -- it's not like the list tells us, "words that are in the bottom 10% of Merriam-Webster lookups are considered 'weird Scrabble words' and not included." The Scrabble dictionaries are run by people who understand Scrabble and lexicography, an actual discipline, while 12dicts is governed by...what standard, exactly? A resource for building spell-checkers that is ostensibly made by combining some other online dictionaries. And errors are oversights are checked and corrected how, exactly?

Someone has decided that it's "better" and doesn't have "weird words" or something. So therefore it's awesome, I guess.
fr13day

Post by fr13day »

quietmint wrote: 23 June 2021, 17:51 Not great examples you chose here. "hexane" is obviously specialized scientific vocabulary for a particular field, so it's completely understandable why it wouldn't be included in a dictionary of standard English words. The same is true for highly specialized vocabulary from any field (computing, engineering, medicine, etc.)

...and building a new dictionary is outside my purview.
So now that you've responded to say that HEXANE and QUACKERS are bad examples, presumably you'll respond to some good examples, e.g., ATOMICS, UNTHAWED, BLOCKIER, UNPADDED, KHANATE, PREPEND?
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

We're done here. There's nothing more to say on this matter. Choose the dictionary you prefer when you create your table. This feature has been there since day 1. You set the option literally one time and that's it.

I'd like a word list that's better than any of the current options, but it's not feasible, unless Asmodee acquires Merriam-Webster...
fr13day

Post by fr13day »

okee-dokee. i still don't understand why it makes you so angry that someone passionate about words doesn't like the "dictionary" (word list) you decided to make default, and have been so since my first post. i'm still very glad and grateful that you put this game on BGA, and i'd still happily send you something on an Amazon wish list in thanks if you want to share one with me. Otherwise, "we're done" should mean that *you're* done commenting on the thread that I started. I'll talk about it as much as I want, unless perhaps a mod informs me that I'm breaking some BGA rule that I'm not aware of breaking.
JackHH

Post by JackHH »

I had all of
https://scrabblecheck.com/perianth
https://scrabblecheck.com/senhorita
https://scrabblecheck.com/hortensia
https://scrabblecheck.com/planisher

recently disallowed in a game using 12 dicts, and they are all fairly bog standard words.

This game is really awesome, however I find it incredibly disappointing that the game developer seems to be unwilling to budge on the default being 12dicts. Having to play with 12dicts spoils what is otherwise an excellent game. I've worked around this by setting myself to NEVER play 12dicts in my preferences, but it sounds like this is probably one of the reason I always have to wait 5+ minutes for a game despite being premium.

I LOVE the analogy of the childrens menu :D

Also, the players who care clearly have shown they think 12 dicts is garbage (0 votes out of 11), so why on earth insist on keeping it as the default? Surely it's an incredibly easy chance to switch the default over. Should be 2 lines of code changed at most!
JackHH

Post by JackHH »

ufm wrote: 29 April 2021, 01:07 (I favor 12dicts for various reasons though).
I would love to know what these reasons are?

Return to “Hardback”