Take away Birthday card

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Jellby

Re: Take away Birthday card

Post by Jellby »

There's a birthdate field in the profile, it should be used for birthday (if someone does not fill that up, too bad for them; if someone changes it every day to match the date, let them enjoy their cheating). The site could have a list of "special" holidays, maybe selectable by country as a game option.
Yasten

Post by Yasten »

Well, if people don't want to share their birthday online that might be a thing to consider as why the card could be deleted.
Bootsiebewts

Post by Bootsiebewts »

Originally I also thought that the card should be removed because of potential abuse. Then I saw that one of the founders of the game, Kristin Looney, said she makes up holidays and that there is disadvantages to the card. You have to choose to play 3, 2, or 1 cards before seeing what the cards are. The cards could contain a goal that lets someone else win, an action the player doesn't want to happen, or something else negative. It really is a gamble to say it is your birthday and be forced to play 3 random cards. Also the dev said it is impossible to have an integration of BGA profile birthday and the code being able to access it.
fiscused

Post by fiscused »

It isn't too much of a gamble. Early in the game, you are better off playing all 3 cards. Later, when other players have keepers, you are better off using the card as "draw 3 play2", which is already a card. You are almost never best to play 1, which is what makes the card interesting and fun. Until people start cheating with the card.

We should at least have an option to ban the card. And it doesn't matter if people like to house rule it at home--it should be played properly here.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

fiscused wrote: 11 July 2021, 19:28

We should at least have an option to ban the card. And it doesn't matter if people like to house rule it at home--it should be played properly here.
Um, banning the card is a house rule... :)
fiscused

Post by fiscused »

Jest Phulin wrote: 12 July 2021, 04:54

Which I only want to do to counter a house rule....
voriki

Post by voriki »

fiscused wrote: 12 July 2021, 22:19
Jest Phulin wrote: 12 July 2021, 04:54

Which I only want to do to counter a house rule....
2 Wrongs don't make a Right.
kana69

Post by kana69 »

I played the game for the first time at 1am on 14th July (France National Day), and I love this game since. Never had this feeling with a boardgame before. My advice, Keep it, if ppl are not able to be honest, that's their problem. This game is much better on BGA than live.
voriki

Post by voriki »

kana69 wrote: 16 July 2021, 02:20 I played the game for the first time at 1am on 14th July (France National Day), and I love this game since. Never had this feeling with a boardgame before. My advice, Keep it, if ppl are not able to be honest, that's their problem. This game is much better on BGA than live.
I agree. While I never played it live, I am sure I would make heaps of mistakes keeping track of playing count, forgetting to account for Inflation, using New Rule effects just once a turn(did I Mill Goal in this turn already or not?), sometimes you have one of those turns that you play 10 cards in succession, and then Take Another Turn, and simply forget what you did and didn't do. So online is easier to abide by the (new) rules.

It is also a nice thing that if there is a holiday, and people choose it, that they say a short thing on chat. if it were to be my birthday(who wants to play me on September 2nd?), I would say a thing in chat as well. I take notes of people who have used the Birthday Card and didn't respond in chat to my congratulations, or admit they cheated. And Red Thumb them if they laugh it away, or say they always do this kind of cheating.
fiscused

Post by fiscused »

I've done the red thumb a couple times, but I don't want a huge list of people on my ban list. I'm thinking of adding a note before starting not to cheat on the card, and then people can opt not to play with me.

Return to “Fluxx”