Take away Birthday card

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
diamant

Re: Take away Birthday card

Post by diamant »

Jellby wrote: 31 July 2021, 17:08
diamant wrote: 31 July 2021, 16:17"The player who last visited an island goes first and play continues to the left." (Forbidden Island)
PPS. What would happen if you play with a stranger in real life? If they claim it's their birthday, would you say "prove it"? Or if they say it's their hometown's major day?
When I play a multi-player game in real life, I try to clear up the contentious points before the game starts.

What is important, with the card Today's Special!, is to choose to play 1, 2 or 3 cards before drawing the 3 cards.
A player can not be sure to make the best choice when he decides to play 3 cards or even 2 cards without knowing the 3 cards he will draw. So I don’t think it’s necessary to ask him to justify his choice, because it would be a disproportionate inquisition to the objective of not giving him a very small advantage.
sweetlumps

Post by sweetlumps »

I played against 3 people today who had their birthday on September 4! What are the odds? Happy birthday to you all! 🎂🎂🎂
SteveV

Post by SteveV »

Jest Phulin wrote: 07 July 2021, 03:31 About the only other option I could see is at the start of the game, the system picks a random number between 1 and 365 for each player. If that number is the current day, it assigns a "birthday status" to that player. It then looks up a table of approved holidays, and assign a status for the rest of the table.

I see no good answer that a computer can implement. Removing the card is also not a good idea, as then BGA would be implementing house rules.
I LOVE that! display it on each player card for all to see!
SteveV

Post by SteveV »

voriki wrote: 13 July 2021, 12:13 2 Wrongs don't make a Right.
but 3 lefts do make a right! ;)
voriki

Post by voriki »

SteveV wrote: 04 September 2021, 20:25
4 lefts just get you nowhere.

Fun Fact, in some places delivery companies rather use 3 rights instead of 1 left, as they can skip some red lights that way.
gordoz

Post by gordoz »

birthdays not even always the best choice
voriki

Post by voriki »

voriki wrote: 04 September 2021, 23:19
SteveV wrote: 04 September 2021, 20:25
4 lefts just get you nowhere.

Fun Fact, in some places delivery companies rather use 3 rights instead of 1 left, as they can skip some red lights that way.
I was just about to say that.
The reasoning is that In some countries(mainly the US in some places) the driver does not need to stop at a red trafficlight when driving right, only when driving straight or left. The GPS system they use is programmed to maximize the amount of right turns on their route and the various stops, even if it adds up to more kilometres/miles driven, they waste a lot less time waiting at a red light, and overall they win time.

YouTube has plenty of interesting videos to show this visually.
Zozoken

Post by Zozoken »

In a tournament setting, is it acceptable and expected to play this card for the most benefit even if it's not your birthday or anniversary? Since in a tournament setting you want to play as optimally as possible...

(The idea of playing such a casual game like Fluxx in a competitive format notwithstanding...)
Tanjanica

Post by Tanjanica »

Seriously, how is this card allowed? It's annoying when I play fairly and then others can abuse the system.

Is there no way to exclude this card or only allow people who have entered their birthday on the website to play it?

I love Fluxx, but allowing people to cheat ruins this game on BGA.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

There is no feasible way to enforce the rule on this card without exposing this information to other players. There is a reason why the handling of information like birthdays is regulated if a site collects it.

So then just get rid of the card, right? Well, no, because BGA does its best to implement the game as published without alterations. Removing a card from play that is in the standard deck would be such an alteration.

What to do, what to do? How about lighten up and treat this like any other arbitrary rule akin to first player rules such as the youngest, or oldest, or most recent to have visited an island, or most recently to have traveled goes first. It is dumb and frivolous and not to be taken seriously.

Return to “Fluxx”