Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
MojoWild

Saying GG too early - sportsmanship/etiquette

Post by MojoWild »

Hi all!
Gauging my own sensitivity...

I've noticed more often lately where as soon as someone is ensured of a win, they'll say "GG or Good Game" even before all players have finished. Sometimes this is on the last turn, sometimes when it's mathematically impossible for the player to lose. The latter seems especially obnoxious to me, but on the whole, am I being too sensitive? It reads to me like, "Well, game over, no way for you to win, ha ha." It's kind of rubbing it in and I'm usually aware that this player will be the winner, it's not news. And if I say anything, it's defended under the guise of sportsmanship.

Is it too much to ask to wait until all players have played to say it?

Anyway, again, a sanity check for me if I'm reading too much into this. It usually just irritates me more than coming across as good sportsmanship.
RicardoRix

Re: Saying GG too early - sportsmanship/etiquette

Post by RicardoRix »

Sounds like bad loser talk.

gg.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

I will often say it with 1 or 2 moves left, and not because the game has been decided, but because it gives others a time to respond...and possibly a chance to engage in a post game discussion about the game before everyone has left.

I would guess the number of people saying it to rub it in is extremely small, so I would not assume that is someone's intention.

I will say other options can be better than 'gg', like "thanks for the game". Or if you've lost saying well done, nice play, etc. are all good.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

sprockitz wrote: 24 May 2021, 19:53 I will often say it with 1 or 2 moves left, and not because the game has been decided, but because it gives others a time to respond...and possibly a chance to engage in a post game discussion about the game before everyone has left.

I would guess the number of people saying it to rub it in is extremely small, so I would not assume that is someone's intention.

I will say other options can be better than 'gg', like "thanks for the game". Or if you've lost saying well done, nice play, etc. are all good.
Same here, on all aspects.
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

i regularly play against a friend who says it once the winner is inevitable, whether it's me or him who is going to win. Definitely nothing unsportsmanlike there, just acceptance of the way things are.

I'd say you're being way too sensitive.
MojoWild

Post by MojoWild »

sprockitz wrote: 24 May 2021, 19:53 I will often say it with 1 or 2 moves left, and not because the game has been decided, but because it gives others a time to respond...and possibly a chance to engage in a post game discussion about the game before everyone has left.

Ok, thanks for the constructive reply! Text can be hard to gauge intent so didn't want to misinterpret things. This is good to know!
MojoWild

Post by MojoWild »

GeraldineMerida wrote: 24 May 2021, 23:03 i regularly play against a friend who says it once the winner is inevitable, whether it's me or him who is going to win. Definitely nothing unsportsmanlike there, just acceptance of the way things are.

I'd say you're being way too sensitive.
Thanks! This is what I needed to know.
Ze Monstah

Post by Ze Monstah »

Saying "gl, hf" and most important, "gg" (whenever in the game) shows the kind, respectful, non-robotic and transparent nature of those players.
For them, saying a neutral and more-letters-using "Thank you for playing the game with me.", or simply not saying anything, is waaay worse than "gg".

And if you try to debate on "gg" or why you consider it worse than other end-of-the-game words, you are an extremely s*re lo*er and wrong, by default (see the groovy first reply above...).

Unfortunately, most of the people use the "gg", their explanation being "i didn't say GG because i crushed you, i just said gg because that is what people are supposed to do, regardless; it was a good game, for whoever the winner was, or how the game was". I mean some people say "gg" (not ironic) even after someone quits or gets expelled, or cheats... :(

My problem with this is that people more competitive or sensitive than others might take the "gg" literally, and feel the game was not good... and also... there are neutral end-of-game words, like "thanks for playing"... which people simply decline for whatever reason (my guess is that gg only has 2 letters, and they might want to avoid muscle soreness, but still seem extremely polite).
*the neutral alternative idea was also shared a bit in the 2nd. reply, above.

I have noticed too that "gg" is used way earlier, lately, but it does not have a major different stimulus on me.

Ignore it (the best) or express your opinion on that, in a diplomatic manner, before probably being called "s*re l*s*r" and (God Forbids) red thumbed.

Wish you good luck.
When life gives you a ZeMon, make ZeMonade...
https://youtu.be/YlmKmM3WCpM
Yobust

Post by Yobust »

Ricardorix no it's not a bad looser talk . No need on insulting someone a bad looser , nothing about loosing as Mojo explained. Mojo I get what you try to say, there will be, characters that will take a buzz by rubbing it in other face as they know they win as you said. But some say gg because dispite they lost they still enjoy the game. I think it's funny to say gg at start before anyone roll as after 6 hands in french tarot and not ounce on each hand could take a bet that happen a lot is it at end game a gg fir some mdr ( lol) joking
Yobust

Post by Yobust »

Fir meant ( for)

Return to “Discussions”