Translation - Language specific discussions

BGA localization discussions
Een

Translation - Language specific discussions

Post by Een »

We recommend translators to have a specific thread in their own language about translating BGA to reach consensus about how best to translate according to their language specificities.

This post is created to reference these language specific discussion threads to make them easy to access. Please post links to these threads in comments on this post with the name of the language. The list below will then be updated to include this entry.

If there is no such thread already for your language, you are invited to create one. We recommend to name these threads "<Your language> Translation - <Same text in your language>". For example Japanese Translation- 日本語訳
EDIT: following KongKing123's suggestion below, subforums by language have also been created for the most popular languages on BGA (they have been ordered by popularity). If your language is not listed currently, you can either create a thread for your language as suggested above, or request a subforum for your language.
List of language specific discussion threads:
KongKing123

Re: Translation - Language specific discussions

Post by KongKing123 »

Could there be an option to request a subforum for your language, as suggested here? https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 11&t=17212

This would keep things more organised for the more active languages.
Attachments
Translation subforums.PNG
Translation subforums.PNG (5.96 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
Een

Post by Een »

KongKing123 wrote: 10 June 2021, 11:47 Could there be an option to request a subforum for your language, as suggested here? https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 11&t=17212

This would keep things more organised for the more active languages.
And here goes my idea of having a clean list by comments :D
Ok, it means it was not a good one. I adjusted the post to switch to a curated list.

About subforums, I don't know at the moment. I might look into it in the future, but I'm not sure it would be really better, as one of the most active community discussing translations (for the Japanese language) has found convenient along the years to have just one thread.
GoldenScout

Post by GoldenScout »

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 11&t=21389

Language-specific post open for Italian translators :D
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

Een wrote: 10 June 2021, 12:57 About subforums, I don't know at the moment. I might look into it in the future, but I'm not sure it would be really better, as one of the most active community discussing translations (for the Japanese language) has found convenient along the years to have just one thread.
Sure, if that works for them and everyone manages to keep it within one thread, why not. But there are clear advantages to having a few subforums:
  • Organisation: it keeps things structured in dedicated threads. For example, seeing a unified thread with a post about Automobiles, then two posts about pronouns, followed by a reply to the Automobiles post and to a general post from the previous page, and finally another reply about the pronouns, isn't really handy when I'm only trying to follow the pronoun discussion.
    We have a group with the most active Dutch translators, in which we will sometimes post about a game to discuss something, and people reply to that. If it concerns something else entirely, we make a new post. This works, but the group system is quite limited in terms of formatting and it would be better if more of this were in the public space.
  • Discoverability: it makes everything more accessible. At the moment there are two "hurdles" to clear if someone wants to keep up with a language. Firstly, are there new posts on the Translations forum? If there are, they check the forum, and 90% of the time they find out that the new posts were not about their language at all (on desktop you can at least see the latest thread, but there might be more posts). Even if that hurdle is cleared and there is a new post in their language thread, it could just as well be about something they aren't really interested in. You could subscribe to it, but then you will always be notified. On the other hand, if you see your language's subforum has a new post, you can immediately check if the thread it was made in is relevant to you.
    Additionally, someone that doesn't deal with translations a lot would be much more likely to make a post in an immediately visible subforum than to first read this topic, find the appropriate language thread, and then post in there. You could also move threads there if needed.
  • Reference: it's easier to look something up. If someone has a question about a game in their language, they might skim the first page of the subforum and come across an existing thread, or do a subforum-only search and find it. However, almost no one will scroll through 10 pages of a unified thread to see if this game has been mentioned before. It is easier to find a big needle in several small haystacks than a small needle in a very big one.
    There could also be a sticky with some general language-specific guidelines and conventions.
  • Relevance: it keeps the main Translations forum more relevant to everyone. On the first 2 pages alone, there are about 10 threads solely concerning French. These are mostly just visual noise to anyone who doesn't understand that language, let alone translate in it. Imagine if the Japanese didn't stick to one thread. :)
I would only create a subforum if a language's community finds it useful and is active enough, so there would probably only be about 5 of them. And if it doesn't work out, a subforum can easily be removed again (I assume).
Een

Post by Een »

Ok, let's try this.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

darknngel

Post by darknngel »

je sais pas si je suis sur le bon topic..... lol mais chaque fois jecris le mot feck dans 1 discussion on me dit que c'est possiblement un langage grossier... sauf que feck au quebec signifie ALORS, exemple: au lieu de dire alors on se revoit demain? on va dire feck on se voit demain? certain utilise aussi avec un A donc: fack on se voit demain? le terme est utiliser de plusieurs facon différente, feckeuh, fackeuh fack, feck. vous voyez, rien de méchant du tout. J'aimerais juste pas que quelqu'un soit suspendu pour avoir dit *alors* dans son dialeque, et merci pour ce super site et bonne journée :)
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

darknngel wrote: 05 July 2021, 05:16 je sais pas si je suis sur le bon topic..... lol mais chaque fois jecris le mot feck dans 1 discussion on me dit que c'est possiblement un langage grossier... sauf que feck au quebec signifie ALORS, exemple: au lieu de dire alors on se revoit demain? on va dire feck on se voit demain? certain utilise aussi avec un A donc: fack on se voit demain? le terme est utiliser de plusieurs facon différente, feckeuh, fackeuh fack, feck. vous voyez, rien de méchant du tout. J'aimerais juste pas que quelqu'un soit suspendu pour avoir dit *alors* dans son dialeque, et merci pour ce super site et bonne journée :)
This is what you're looking for: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=9903

It's just a warning, people won't actually get banned if it wasn't an insult.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

KongKing123 wrote: 04 July 2021, 19:57
Een wrote: 10 June 2021, 09:48 Edit: following KongKing123's suggestion below, subforums by language have also been created for the most popular languages on BGA (they have been ordered by popularity). If your language is not listed currently, you can either create a thread for your language as suggested above, or request a subforum for your language.
[...]
Thanks for moving the Dutch threads.

I noticed there's an English subforum too, the following posts seem to concern the original texts only:
I reckon a substantial number of threads that remain after that are French, German and Italian, but I'll leave those to others. :)

Return to “Translations”