Tichu players who cheat by privately communicating during play

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
NeanderthalMan

Re: Tichu players who cheat

Post by NeanderthalMan »

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 28 November 2021, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
--Q--

Re: Tichu players who cheat by privately communicating during play

Post by --Q-- »

Can you recommend an analysis tool that shows all four hands?
I just played against a team that knows each other and made several moves that make only sense if you know partner's hand.

For example as position 2 hitting the first king of the tichu on position 1 with dragon because you "know" you have no aces in team.
Or calling a tichu that relies on every ace taking the turn because you "know" partner has both dragon and phenix.
Or playing a weak straight instead of a pair of aces and finishing with straight because you know that your partner blocks the queens and straight is strong therefore.
Teddy_Winn

Post by Teddy_Winn »

I saw the replay of the game in question and know the team you are referring to.

“For example as position 2 hitting the first king of the tichu on position 1 with dragon because you "know" you have no aces in team.”

This one happened because the person hitting the king with dragon wanted to play dogs to give lead to partner.

“Or calling a tichu that relies on every ace taking the turn because you "know" partner has both dragon and phenix.”

This Tichu call was one with 2 aces but it seems like the person knew partner had at least dragon because it was given during the card exchange.

“Or playing a weak straight instead of a pair of aces and finishing with straight because you know that your partner blocks the queens and straight is strong therefore.”

You mean playing the straight first and finishing with pair aces. This happens if a person doesn’t want to be bombed after playing pair ace 1st and then being left with straight.
--Q--

Post by --Q-- »

So far no ace got played from the own team. Usually you keep dragon and dogs and can assume your partner to have at least one ace.

The way the tichu got played is like knowing both animals are at the partner. Otherwise you would play QQQJJ and stay with 3 and A.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 10 September 2021, 03:58, edited 2 times in total.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

How to Review Games
smuuurfing wrote: 09 September 2021, 13:54Can you recommend an analysis tool that shows all four hands
When replaying games, I’m usually not watching all plays in turn order from beginning to end. Instead, I’m looking for what cards were passed (or what 8 cards a player had when calling grand tichu). Here’s my process:

1. Find the game you wish to review and click View game replay button.

2. Right-click each Choose this player button and open them in new windows.

3. Arrange the windows so each takes up a quarter of your screen.

4. If not already selected, click Replay log on the horizontal footer bar.

5. Press Ctrl+F and search for the word ‘last’ which is when the final 6 cards are dealt at the beginning of each round.

6. Write each move number down. E.g., in this case there are 12 rounds/hands: 5, 42, 128, 203, 265, 335, 423, 513, 581, 658, 730.

7. In the header of each window, click the Advanced replay features link.

8. Click the far right play icon and select Go to specific move (fast).

9. Enter the first move number that you wrote down +4 (e.g, 5+4=9). Passed cards show up in the windows four moves after the final 6 cards are dealt, e.g., 9, 46, 132, 207, 269, 339, 427, 517, 585, 662, 734.

10. After clicking Ok, it will take a few moments for the replay to advance to the entered move number. Do this in the separate windows for each player. After reviewing, repeat step 8 forward for each move number (+4) on your list.

You can also search for other keywords in the log, such as "makes a Tichu/Grand" to find all bets; "made" to find all logs of bets made and not made, etc. Hope this is helpful.
Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 19 September 2021, 15:52, edited 2 times in total.
--Q--

Post by --Q-- »

Thank you for your efforts, NeanderthalMan. I really appreciate it.

One notice: KU leading with 3 instead of JJJQQ in Round 3 doesn't make much sense to me unless you know phenix at your partners hand. This remains unviewed.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

smuuurfing wrote: 10 September 2021, 14:32 Thank you for your efforts, NeanderthalMan. I really appreciate it.

One notice: KU leading with 3 instead of JJJQQ in Round 3 doesn't make much sense to me unless you know phenix at your partners hand. This remains unviewed.
I don't see why this sequence is odd or suggests that KU must know partner JC has Phoenix. KU was undoubtedly counting Ks and As and knew it was possible for someone to have a higher full house, especially with Phoenix out there. In the event that an opponent plays over and you can't respond, you want your best cards left. As it turns out, JJJQQ was in fact beaten by your partner's KKK22.

Had the combos played been reversed and KU was left with A3, she'd have to win a singleton lead with A and play 3. However, if opponents have Phoenix they can take the Ace and even if JC plays Dragon, the chances of being able to play the 3 on a single lead and get out first are slim (unless JC has Dog, which KU presumably doesn't know). No matter which was played first, there was some risk that the trick would be won by the opponents and the Tichu set; my guess is KU felt playing 3 first gave more favorable odds.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 28 November 2021, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 28 November 2021, 17:35, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Tichu”