Tichu players who cheat by privately communicating during play

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
BobbaFaht

Re: Tichu players who cheat by privately communicating during play

Post by BobbaFaht »

A lot of people here have taken the accusations as facts and agree with OP, so I wanted to voice out, that I do not, and give reason as to why not. It is important to me to state, that I believe it possible that collusion occured in one or more games analysed by OP. I just question that the games displayed suffice for this accusation in some of the cases. There surely are colluders on BGA, and I do agree that maybe a bunch listed here are actually colluding. That said, I believe that OP is generating a lot of false positives.

I was contacted by OP (thread opener) with the info that I played against apparent cheaters. A link had been added to this forum thread, and so I checked the analysis for the players in question (* and *). *
OP himself states:
The most obvious indicator is the cards partners pass to each other. Players who are cheating pass (and play) in way that reveals they have knowledge of what's in their partner's hand, passing cards that complete bombs and other combinations. These passes—often low or breaking their own combos—wouldn't make sense if their partner's hand was unknown to them.
I (privately) asked OP about what his basis expectation was about how two players pass each other bombs/combos/etc. but got no sensible answer other than that any single game cannot be taken as indicator. I agree, that any single game is not an indicator, but even over multiple games, you would require an average rate of success or other measurable quantifier to isolate overproportional success in passing cards. In other words, without knowing what is proportional, how would something qualify as overproportional.

As I said, I looked at the analysis of the sequence * played by * and *, and I must say, that while they often pass favorable cards, most of the time the passed cards are completely plausible from one hand perspective. The one pass I would otherwise believe to be collusion is most likely not collusion, because they could have easiely passed much better, and won a tichu, had they passed differently.

What I am saying is this: In tichu, 4 players share 4 colors + 4 extra cards (14 cards each). If you choose a completely random card from your hand to pass to your teammate (not the best or the worst or anything rational) then you are pretty likely to hit a value that is already there (1-10, J, Q, K, A) just because it is very likely, that the cards are spread out a lot. Only because we pass knowing that certain cards are better than others, we generate a higher probability for passed solo cards (2, 3, 4 and 5 mostly, but sometimes higher), because we passed away those low cards already. If we didn't it would have been a pair or trip or whatever.
The point is: Many times passing seems odd, if you leave out the context. * and * often pass highest or second highest solo cards (sometimes low ones, if they suspect utility). This is perfectly natural. I play in the same way, only without a fix teammate. If I had a fix teammate, and we'd play a lot of hands together, it would probably look like collusion too, because we would learn each others passing strategy. Overall * and * leave out too many really strong opportunities for tichu or strong combinations, to actually look suspicious to me. In the first match analysed, they pass two bombs overall, which might seem like collusion, but they passed the second highest solo card both times, which makes perfect sense. They never tear straights to pass a quad bomb, which I could accept as strong indicator. They sometimes tear pairs (when a straight remains) and they sometimes pass medium solo instead of highest solo (which I so a lot, because of the higher change to fill in straights or pair up solor.

As said to begin with: I might be wrong. I just felt like it was important to point out, that this 'evidence' does not look as strong to me as it might to others, specifically less experienced players (I played offline a lot in the days).

I look at these games think: It is possible that * and * do collude, but the proof offered is way too thin for my taste.

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
jackychans

Post by jackychans »

In an ideal world of any competitive online games, a well-constructed system to maintain fair play is the necessary component for the game to thrive. We have VAC in *, report filing system in *, cheating-detection bot in *.com. For www.*.com, a community-based voting system is established to catch cheaters. Unfortunately, we lack such a system in BGA to deter the cheaters other than losing to cheaters once and investigate yourself and use the ban hammers yourself.

Things changed after NeanderthalMan initiated and kept updating the post for potential cheaters. What he has been doing is actually filling this fair play gap by analyzing all the potential cheaters and producing a report using his own spare time. It is a noble act that no one else tried to do other than whining and losing hope to playing tichu in BGA, including myself. Of course you may argue how credible the arguments are, or some of you are asking about the threshold/proportional/confidence level/blablabla. I would say this is practically a moonshine to request a volunteer to dedicate more to some arbitrary values that may never come to a conclusion. That's why we rely on our own judgement based on these generated reports. And I would say for every report I have seen by NeanderthalMan, collusion possibility is very likely, including* played by * and *, and I would ban all these potential colluders so that they won't ruin my fun of playing the game. It is your right to approach otherwise.

Another argument is that wrongly accusing someone outweighs the deterrent and practical effect of fair play. Then this becomes a philosophical debate. To me, NeanderthalMan has been doing a great job to avoid careless conclusion. No one can guarantee a fair play system has a zero false positive rate, but based on my experience in playing Tichu in both online and offline, the mistakes I saw in the report are minimal if not none. This post should be a gem to most of the Tichu lovers in BGA.

*moderator edit: please do not refer directly to other online gaming sites on BGA
*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06A lot of people here have taken the accusations as facts and agree with OP ... I just question that the games displayed suffice for this accusation in some of the cases.
When reviewing games I take care to ensure there's ample evidence of cheating before presenting the case here. While the analyses only examine a sample size sufficient to establish a pattern—usually 3-4 games—I’ve watched all others played by the partnership unless too many to be practical. I assume there isn’t cheating until the preponderance of evidence leads me to conclude otherwise.
BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06I believe that OP is generating a lot of false positives.
What’s the basis for such a sweeping and unsupported claim? You’ve convinced yourself there are plausible alternative explanations for one analyzed game, assume it’s thus unreasonable to declare cheating, and then generalize to all other analyses to assert that many must be wrong. It seems the same offense of which you accuse me: ignoring context, making leaps from insufficient/unprovided evidence, and drawing baseless conclusions.
BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06I (privately) asked OP about what his basis expectation was about how two players pass each other bombs/combos/etc. but got no sensible answer other than that any single game cannot be taken as indicator. I agree, that any single game is not an indicator, but even over multiple games, you would require an average rate of success or other measurable quantifier to isolate overproportional success in passing cards. In other words, without knowing what is proportional, how would something qualify as overproportional.
The average rate of passing success for non-cheaters—while useful—is not necessary to recognize that the multi-game phenomenon of near-perfect, seemingly targeted passing is not only best explained by cheating, it's the only logical conclusion.

That being said, we’ll revisit */* three games already analyzed and add your game against them for four total (they won two, lost two). The opponents’ passing success will be used as a rough quantitative baseline for comparison purposes. We don’t know how close their average is to that of the entire non-cheating Tichu-playing population but we do know that each opposing team has only logged one play together and their passing has no indicators of collusion. Click link below for new analysis report:

These four games have a combined 23 rounds for 46 passes between each set of partners. 13 of these offered no opportunity and are excluded. As such, * and * have 40 passes with opportunities to give the other a combo and do so 39 times for a success rate of 98%. The single exception was when * had a Tichu-caliber hand and passed Dog instead of Jack for trips. In stark contrast, their opponents had 39 opportunities and hit 20 for 51%. If passes resulting in pairs or trips are excluded, the disparity expands considerably: */*: 24 of 25 for 92%; opponents: 7 of 25 for 28%. Is this sufficiently ‘overproportional’ to justify concluding that cheating as occurred?

BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06I looked at the analysis of the sequence (https://imgur.com/dsBMEb5) played by JWORG and HB2021 … while they often pass favorable cards, most of the time the passed cards are completely plausible from one hand perspective.
Every individual pass can be explained away if desired (e.g., best card, lowest/highest, second highest, etc.) but what cannot be is the frequency with which the passes between the accused improve the hand of the other by resulting in bombs and other combos. We may not know the probability of success though it’s safe to assume it would not be 100% under normal conditions.
BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06The one pass I would otherwise believe to be collusion is most likely not collusion, because they could have easiely passed much better, and won a tichu, had they passed differently.
False. * and * couldn’t have passed much better. As noted, they made a combo via pass on 98% of their chances (39 of 40; if excluding the aforementioned Dog pass, 39 of 39 for 100%)—they also completed the best available combo 37 times (93%). The 3 exceptions were (1) the Dog, when * gave (2) AA instead of 666, and (3) KK instead of 999.
BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06… If you choose a completely random card from your hand to pass to your teammate (not the best or the worst or anything rational) then you are pretty likely to hit a value that is already there (1-10, J, Q, K, A) just because it is very likely, that the cards are spread out a lot.
Cards aren’t passed at random so this line of reasoning is irrelevant. For experienced non-cheaters, the passed card is chosen through strategic considerations dependent on blind assumptions about the partner’s hand. Typically, with a weak hand it’s assumed odds are favorable that the partner has a better hand and the pass will often be best/high. These decisions are guided by an effort to consolidate strength into one hand of the partnership. As such, one would expect that non-cheaters will pass Dragon, Phoenix, Ace, or high card more often than cheaters who aren’t subject to the same unknowns.

Cheaters know what their partner has and/or needs so their passes are not blind or based on rough probabilities about what the other holds. Rather, the priority appears to be mutual optimization as opposed to consolidation. There’s no need to pass solo Ace blind and hope it allows the partner to call Tichu when it’s known a 7 will complete an 8-card straight. To support this hypothesis, one would expect that probable cheaters are more likely to pass low to their partner and keep high and special cards.

Unsurprisingly, * and * passes confirm these informed hunches. 67% of the time (31 of 46), this duo passes a card ranked ≤10 and it results in a combo where possible every single time (27 of 27 for 100%): 5 quad bombs, 9 straights, 5 sets of consecutive pairs, 4 trips, and 4 pairs. We already know they had no true misses so there were no occasions when a card >10 did not combo but a card ≤10 would have.

Their opponents, on the other hand, pass ≤10 only 28% of the time (13 of 46), making a combo only 6 out of the 11 times possible (55%) for 3 trips, 2 straights, and 1 pair. * and * pass power cards (DPA) only 5% of the time (2 of 40) versus their opponents’ 20% (7 of 35). These disparities are indicative of the difference between conventional play and that of colluders who depend on their ability to generate combos with targeted low passes than by passing high when weak.
BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06The point is: Many times passing seems odd, if you leave out the context.
The context of each pass has not been left out but, since it’s open to interpretation—as demonstrated by your alternative explanations—it cannot be divorced from the macro context, i.e., the extraordinary pattern of success * and * have in the aggregate. That context provides both the basis of our inferences and interpretation of why any specific card was passed.
BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06Overall * and * leave out too many really strong opportunities for tichu or strong combinations, to actually look suspicious to me.
False. As discussed, they made the best possible combo 37 out of 40 times, with 3 understandable exceptions
BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06JWORG and HB2021 often pass highest or second highest solo cards (sometimes low ones, if they suspect utility).
These rationalizations aren’t particularly useful. Any singleton can be labeled its ordinal value from either end: lowest, third lowest/second highest, highest, etc.
BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06In the first match analysed, they pass two bombs overall, which might seem like collusion, but they passed the second highest solo card both times, which makes perfect sense.
It certainly seems more compelling and reasonable when you say ‘second highest’ single but you’re omitting the detail to make your point. First bomb, * has singles 23589 and passes 8 to *; second bomb, 256A and passes 6. Do these passes really make perfect sense?
BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06They never tear straights to pass a quad bomb, which I could accept as strong indicator. They sometimes tear pairs (when a straight remains) and they sometimes pass medium solo instead of highest solo (which I so a lot, because of the higher change to fill in straights or pair up solor.
False. * & * successfully hit all 5 chances they had to make a quad bomb for 100%, of which 2 required the partner to break/tear a straight. Can't break a pair and give quads; straights—standard or flush—are the only combo that could be broken to give a partner quads.

Incidentally, this duo has 100% success when there’s an opportunity requiring combo breaking (13 of 13). If you exclude instances when pairs result from the pass, it’s 10 of 10: 2 quad bombs, 6 straights, 1 trip, and 1 set consecutive pairs. For perspective, * and * break combos 28% of all hands whereas their opponents only 11% without meaningful success. As to be expected, players who don’t know what their partner holds are reluctant to worsen their hand and pass a nominal card that may offer no value to their partner. The 5 times when the opponents break their own combo (only pairs or trips) it results in 3 non-combos and 2 pairs.
BobbaFaht wrote: 29 September 2021, 13:06As said to begin with: I might be wrong. I just felt like it was important to point out, that this 'evidence' does not look as strong to me as it might to others, specifically less experienced players (I played offline a lot in the days). ...It is possible that JWORG and HB2021 do collude, but the proof offered is way too thin for my taste
Exactly what evidence would be strong enough to persuade an experienced player like yourself that * and * are secretly coordinating what cards they pass?

Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 06 October 2021, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
Qualitaetsgarant

Post by Qualitaetsgarant »

It is so obvious that those two are cheating. I don't understand how it can be questioned at any point.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 04 November 2021, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Moina2020

Post by Moina2020 »

Last edited by Moina2020 on 14 November 2021, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Moina2020 wrote: 14 November 2021, 17:27 Is there something fishy going between these two players: bardesy/ Aruba and Ghazali/ Egypt? :?
You're correct and onto something which happens to be exponentially larger than just these two players. Hold tight, I'm finishing up a post on them that I've been working on for a while.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 15 November 2021, 03:19, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Tichu”