What word games do you play?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
JackHH

What word games do you play?

Post by JackHH »

There seems to be quite an interesting core of strong word game players on this subforum and playing the game. I'm curious what other word games people play and how they got into it.

I've gotten into word games via Countdown and have been playing since 2009. My knowledge is all based on the dictionary used by this fan made web based version. I've never been strongly into scrabble, but there seems to be enough overlap between dictionaries for me still to do ok in my games here when playing with scrabble dict.

What games have you all played?
ufm

Re: What word games do you play?

Post by ufm »

Before coming back from my long BGA hiatus I played Scrabble a bit here and there, but my performance was quite mediocre or bad.
Didn't bother to improve either my wordbuilding skills or tile placing strategy then, I was not really into Scrabble.

In November 2020 Letter Tycoon was released as a beta game. I gave it a shot on a whim.
After playing a few games I noticed the game suits me more than expected:
B and J patents favor certain scientific terms (Greek/Latin origin), and I was a biochemist! :o
Found out I had stocked a lot of words in my arsenal from amateur translator experiences, scientific experiments, and other various stuff.

However it surely isn't enough to be a strong player.
So I started deeply studying dictionaries and analyzing the game on my own,
cause English word game community is pretty much nonexistent in South Korea.
You know, empirical research was my job as a scientist literally, and nowadays I have plenty of time to kill (I blame Covid-19 on this).

Then Hardback arrived.
Since I was used to deckbuilding games (especially Dominion) already, I had no problem with getting a grasp of it.
Combining my know-hows of deckbuilders and word game knowledge gleaned from hundreds of Letter Tycoon games, I performed incredibly well.
Of course mathematical analysis helped improving my strategy and tactics a lot, again. And here I am.

I don't think I'll try to move on and discover or join other word game communities though.
I simply want to play my game of choice whenever I wish, not to master every word game I could find.
Also I have other interests and hobbies to spend my time - mainly my D&D 4e campaign which has been running for more than half a year.

Return to “Hardback”