Banlist Discussion!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Lumin_S

Banlist Discussion!

Post by Lumin_S »

With the approval of Lookout Games, the developers here have kindly implemented a banlist option to improve the playing experience. Thanks to all who upvoted the suggestion to make it the highest-voted suggestion thus far. The option can currently be found in game setup with the "Competitive Level" drop down menu, and currently removes Caravan and Braggart from the card pool when selected.

Banning those 2 cards is my recommendation in the submitted suggestion, and while it's just the first iteration of a BGA banlist, I do have reason and justification to believe this is correct. I'll detail that below. The community as a whole should agree on which card(s) should be banned and for what reason(s). We have almost 3 months before Arena Season 7 starts on October 6th, and if we're lucky, Agricola will have left Beta by then and therefore be eligible for Arena. That gives us plenty of time to discuss what the most reasonable banlist setting is to use in Arena (which will most likely be 4-player with draft.) Perhaps we can also think about guidelines to use for banning cards from expansion decks *if* those get implemented at some point in 2022 and beyond. I'll now share some background on bans in Agricola and my reasons for picking Caravan and Braggart.

Is a banlist necessary for competitive play?
Banlists have been a part of competitive Agricola for many years, both online at Boite-a-Jeux (BaJ) and Play-Agricola (PA), and in publisher-sanctioned tournaments.
  • BaJ refers to their banlist option as "Tournament Mode" with discussion thread on their forum. (I think the discussion in the thread is inaccurate - all of the 2011, 2013, and 2017 world championships did not use decks available on BaJ. So there's not much productive discussion there.)
  • PA has banlist options for a variety of deck sets: "-11" for EIKGCOZ decks, "-18" for NFW decks, and "-3" for ABCD decks. The community there has agreed (through a mostly mathematical process sometimes referred to as 'PWR' calculation) that for those groups of decks, it's appropriate to ban that number of cards.
  • 2011 and 2013 World Championships held by Lookout Games both used the Wm deck only; to this date no cards from that deck have been banned.
  • During the 2017 World Championship held by Lookout Games, Caravan was banned between the preliminary and semifinal rounds. Many players were unhappy about the lack of ban during preliminaries, and before the semifinals the judge and publisher representatives agreed that the card was affecting winning chances to an undesirable degree. Note that this tournament used the exact deck set that's currently available on BGA.
Based on these factors, I think it's clear that a banlist is a valid consideration for competitive play on BGA.

What has led to cards being banned?
Typically, cards are banned for being "annoying" and/or "too strong" and/or "poorly implemented". I think we don't have to worry much about the last point (but please do comment if you disagree)! The annoyance and strength factors both have some subjectivity and some objectivity and I'll try to explain those a bit more. Anyone should feel free to pitch in with a similar or different point of view.
  • "Annoying" - This category of card is either an “attack card” or unexpectedly interrupts the family growth queue that usually takes place in the midgame of a competitive 4-player game - where, assuming all players have an empty room, the start player uses on Wish for Children and the next player uses Meeting Place so that they can do the same in the next round.
    • “Attack cards” have been more or less eliminated from the Revised Edition.
    • In my experience, there is subjectivity in deciding to ban (or not) cards that interrupt the usual family growth order, depending on the expense or limitations required by the card.
  • "Too strong" - The most common objective measure for strength I've seen is how often a card is played on the winning board (the aforementioned 'PWR'.) Adapting this measure from PA to the current card set available here on BGA, any given card being played on roughly 29%+ of all 4-player winning farms would be banned. Note that a card won't dealt into every game, and when dealt, it's not always worth playing to the winner. In other words, that number shouldn't be compared to 25%. Unfortunately, BGA's framework doesn't support such a calculation.

***Edit Dec 13 2021: PWR calculations now possible on BGA: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 6&p=101625

PWR shows that overpowered cards typically do one of the following:
    • provide large amounts of bonus points without much extra effort,
    • allow for family growth unusually early + at low cost, or
    • provide unfair and unparalleled amounts of goods/access to action spaces.
    To account for strength without BGA statistics, we'd have to be somewhat subjective about these factors or take stats from elsewhere.
What cards should be banned in this Revised Edition implementation on BGA?
In my opinion, annoyance and strength are the correct factors to consider. But the factors are certainly up for discussion.
  • Caravan's ban in the publisher's 2017 championship is sufficient reason to ban it for Arena Mode or other competitive situations. Annoyance and strength both play a role for this card. There is also an extremely strong argument to ban it based on precedent: it's very close to strictly better than Wooden Hut Extension, which is a card banned on both BaJ and PA. And the N deck version of Caravan in the Original Edition is banned on PA. And I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but the card also synergizes very nicely with multiple cards in the current card set - a bonus not found with Wooden Hut Extension or N deck Caravan.
  • Braggart has been nerfed in the Revised Edition compared to its past E deck version (banned on PA but not BaJ), yet it still can have an outsized effect on the game outcome - 9 bonus points is effectively the highest potential in the current card set, and the card can be played as the last action of the game when one usually has few remaining point sources. When this version of Braggart is played in "Draft 7 of 9, occupations first" format on PA, it's rated significantly higher than the ban threshold. By its own nature, the card will be stronger in drafts with more cards (7 from 9 or 10) and weaker in drafts with fewer cards. Given the variety in available draft formats (and because we don't know future Arena format,) I think it's best that Braggart is banned. However, if a "Draft 7 from 7" option becomes the prevalent format, I might change my mind.
  • Other cards - my opinion is that no other cards qualify here as being "too strong" using the factors above. Big Country can be worth up to 8 bonus points and 16 food, but has the significantly difficult prerequisite of filling one's farm.
In Summary
This post ended up being much more detailed than I anticipated, so thanks very much for reading and I hope it provides a solid background for discussing card bans as a community, and explains why Caravan and Braggart are the first iteration of the BGA banlist. I know my perspective on bans is biased towards my experience on PA and from the 2017 championship, so it's certainly important that we have other perspectives involved in banlist decisions going forward.

TL;DR
My banlist suggestion was implemented. I think Caravan and Braggart are the right bans for the current card set. What do you think?
Last edited by Lumin_S on 14 December 2021, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
simplymoxie

Re: Banlist Discussion!

Post by simplymoxie »

I could not agree more. You went above and beyond in your post with detailed explanations. Thank you Lumin.
Ranior

Post by Ranior »

Love the post. Excellently written, researched, and presented.

I agree Caravan is a completely obvious ban and I don't even think there is an argument.

I still think Braggart should be banned. I think as long as you're playing draft at all it is probably too strong, although in draft 7 I agree it's less clear. Still, I'd rather just ban it, it's not a card that provides much for interesting decisions in my opinion, just leads one to do what you normally want to do in playing your cards and it just provides crazy amounts of vp that you can't get elsewhere and don't have to go out of your way to get.
Thamoo

Post by Thamoo »

Agreed on both count.
TheGore4

Post by TheGore4 »

The only other card that I think should be banned is... not yet available on the site, so somewhat irrelevant, but Chapel should probably be banned. It's annoying AND powerful.
EconSean

Post by EconSean »

Hi everyone,

With the new set of cards in alpha and (hopefully) getting circulated soon, I wanted to reignite the banlist discussion including the new deck. I've played quite a few games with the alpha set and want to kick things off with some thoughts on the cards, but I would be very curious to hear what others think. I have primarily played draft 7 of 9, which is notably different than the arena mode and has factored into my experience a bit.

There are four cards worth discussing in my opinion:

Clay Supports (2w minor: Clay rooms cost 2c 1r 1w instead of 5c 2r: With no additional synergies, this card allows you to build in clay a bit too easily. With synergies like bricklayer/frame builder, this card is an absolute monster. I think that a two card combo that allows clay rooms to be built for r+w or r+2w is a bit too strong, and can just easily snowball games out of control at little to no cost, and given that it has synergies with "weird" cards like bricklayer/frame builder but also with reasonable cards that support clay rooms (priest, clay hut builder, cottager) and cards that support big house strategies (half-timbered house, roof ballaster) I'm fine seeing it banned.

Field Watchman (occ: Whenever you use the grain seeds action space you may plow 1 field): This card is very strong, but it's also very fun and it's does add a lot of actions to the game in the early game if you play it early, which I believe is the optimal way to play the card 99% of the time. At its floor this card is assistant tiller, but at it's peak it can give you access to an insane amount of grain in the early game which can be turned into a ridiculous amount of food or even resources if you get the occ that lets you turn grain into resources or straw-thatched roof. I do really like the presence of this card as a way to make some of the grain seeds cards a bit more playable, since the grain seeds cards are not very good (and it's very fun to play with), so I don't think this should be banned, but if in the future there are cards added that are too strong of a combo with field watchman it should be reconsidered.

Begging Student (occ: When you play this card, you must immediately take 1 begging marker. At the start of each harvest, you can play 1 occupation without paying an occupation cost.) In draft 7 of 9 this card is completely insane. I think it's far more reasonable in draft 7 of 7, as you have to draft in such a way to have a critical mass of occupations that are good in the middle/late game since that is when this card gives you the most free occupations. It's a very good card with any of the new occupation support from this set like Patron, or Bookshelf. I think that if the arena format is changed at some point, it might be worth reconsidering this card, as the value of occupations goes way up, but with the current format as is I see this card being strong, but not overbearing.

Carriage Trip (free passing minor: Immediately place another person) I don't believe this card is too powerful, but it is insanely annoying when the starting player in round 12 goes starting player carriage trip into round 12 action (only to have the next player do the same play in round 13), or when a person on 4 rooms can go FG+start in order to bypass the room queue. I immediately feel bad every time I see this card in a draft, and it feels very bad to be blown out by this card (similar to caravan). While I do not believe this card is too powerful, if people wanted this card to be gone I would be completely on-board with it.

What do you think about these cards? As a reminder, all of my evidence is based on my own play experience and is purely anecdotal. I would be curious to see data on these cards. In lieu of that, sparking a discussion to see what others think should hopefully bring us to a consensus.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Lumin_S wrote: 17 July 2021, 07:13 TL;DR
My banlist suggestion was implemented. I think Caravan and Braggart are the right bans for the current card set. What do you think?

The actual banned list seems to be a bit hard to come by. Is it just Caravan and Braggart?
I presume the list may expand after new decks are implemented.

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=52696

Could I be presumptuous, and ask you to add the actual card list to the original post.
Lumin_S

Post by Lumin_S »

RicardoRix wrote: 22 November 2021, 22:07 The actual banned list seems to be a bit hard to come by. Is it just Caravan and Braggart?
I presume the list may expand after new decks are implemented.
Yes and probably (please discuss here if you have an opinion.)

I'm fairly confident the developers are watching this thread and seeing what the community agrees on. So whatever consensus is developed in this thread is likely to be the source of the banlist going forward, and there being no dissent on the base set cards means that Caravan and Braggart are the only bans there.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Lumin_S wrote: 22 November 2021, 22:42 the base set cards means that Caravan and Braggart are the only bans there.
OK, thanks for the clarification.
Gyorgy

Post by Gyorgy »

I would ban carriage trip for the same reasons.

For the other cards, I would not ban them. They might be strong, but they are probably not the strongest cards. Also they make the lives of the other players easier: With clay supports, other players will get more rooms, FW will leave farmalnd/cultivation open for other players, and begging student will leave occupation space open for others.

Return to “Agricola”