There is now a "Tricks bid: N / M" label displayed near the hand counter

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
felipe1982

There is now a "Tricks bid: N / M" label displayed near the hand counter

Post by felipe1982 »

Hi

I am a new Oh Hell player, and I am confused by the label "Tricks / Bid: N / M" displayed in the UI.

How can I interpret "Tricks / Bid : 2 /3 " What is the meaning of this, and what is the value to me, as a player?

For instances, my bid was "2" but player "A" bid 0 and player "B" bid 0. So what is the meaning of "bid 3" as displayed in the tricks/bid table?

is it trying to say total bids is "2" but total cards (ie tricks) is "3"? Then it should read "Tricks / Bid : 3/2" right?
Screenshot 2021-07-21 114243.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-21 114243.jpg (13.54 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
LaszloK

Re: There is now a "Tricks bid: N / M" label displayed near the hand counter

Post by LaszloK »

The original label says "Tricks bid: N / M" which I find clear enough. A user put in a request to change it to "Tricks / Bid", which is incorrect, but somehow got approved by an admin, so I can't fix it now. I've submitted a request to restore the original.
LaszloK

Post by LaszloK »

A bug has now been opened for this at https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=45477.

As I said there, I don't think "Bids/Tricks" would be a good idea because, to me, "Bids" means the number of bids, i.e. the number of players who have placed their bid, not the total number of tricks the bids placed so far add up to. I still prefer the original label which was "Tricks bid: N / M", i.e. "Tricks [that have been] bid: N [out of] M".

If someone (especially native speakers of English) can think of a label that would be clearer without being too verbose, by all means go ahead and suggest it, preferably both here and in the translation system: https://boardgamearena.com/translation? ... icks%20bid
hakha3

Post by hakha3 »

Imo Bid / Tricks is clear enough. Like u can just easily realize what it is. Additionally Wizard which is very similar game to oh hell, also uses Bid / Trick and I think its better to use the same in both games (if you think something else is more clear than Bid / Trick then maybe change that also in Wizard)
Philoupino

Post by Philoupino »

Hi!
I am the one who had corrected (or at least changed) it to "Tricks / Bid: ${b} / ${t}" because I thought it was easier to understand, and at that time it was validated by an admin, but of course if I was wrong (and now I think I was), do not hesitate to improve it, or put back the old version.

Nevertheless, would you agree to write the following instead of the old version? :
"Bid / Tricks: ${b} / ${t}"

In WIZARD, a very similar game, the same chain is written "Bid / Trick" and it seems clear to everyone for the moment

Phil :)
felipe1982

Post by felipe1982 »

Philoupino wrote: 25 July 2021, 22:02 Hi!
I am the one who had corrected (or at least changed) it to "Tricks / Bid: ${b} / ${t}" because I thought it was easier to understand, and at that time it was validated by an admin, but of course if I was wrong (and now I think I was), do not hesitate to improve it, or put back the old version.

Nevertheless, would you agree to write the following instead of the old version? :
"Bid / Tricks: ${b} / ${t}"

In WIZARD, a very similar game, the same chain is written "Bid / Trick" and it seems clear to everyone for the moment

Phil :)
"Bids / tricks" works for me.
MarkTheStrange

Post by MarkTheStrange »

Tricks should be the total number of tricks in the hand.
Bid should be the total number of tricks bid.
I don't care what order you put them in as long as the order of the labels matches the order of the numbers. But I'm seeing "Tricks / Bid: #Bid / #Tricks", which is backwards.

Return to “Oh Hell!”