Can admins close the Arena for Chess ?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Zelda007

Can admins close the Arena for Chess ?

Post by Zelda007 »

Hi,

Like other topics said, there is a lot a cheater in BGA for Chess. They use a computer like the engine of Litchess to play.

I suggest to stop the Arena for this game (like Hanabi).

Best regards,
el cosimo

Re: Can admins close the Arena for Chess ?

Post by el cosimo »

I think then you can close a lot…

Problem with this is that it is possible but what do they earn? Some high ELO yeah but how can it be fun for them? It is not that you earn money for it.. so it is super weak to earn just some rankingpoints to show: I’m good on chess what is not the case!

But to block for it is stupid when then you punish all the fair ones.
Shobu

Post by Shobu »

el cosimo wrote: 27 July 2021, 10:45what do they earn?
a little boost of dopamine

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21355#p90355
Zelda007

Post by Zelda007 »

It is a shame, but for me, I do not play anymore on BGA for Chess and prefer using chess.com and litchess.com
-manu-

Post by -manu- »

Yes, as long as no engine detectors are implemented, bga is the wrong place to play this game.
lynkowsky

Post by lynkowsky »

So, 5 people ask to close Arena (while they can just decide to not play it) and then the Area is closed ? Weird !
I do like to play chess Arena, even if I had 1 or 2 games probably played against computers, most of the games I played were really interesting and I do not understand the decision to close this arena :(
Een

Post by Een »

lynkowsky wrote: 16 September 2021, 19:49 So, 5 people ask to close Arena (while they can just decide to not play it) and then the Area is closed ? Weird !
I do like to play chess Arena, even if I had 1 or 2 games probably played against computers, most of the games I played were really interesting and I do not understand the decision to close this arena :(
This is part of a larger discussion, I would recommend reading from this post (or the entire thread)
viewtopic.php?f=320&t=22201&start=10#p95250
lynkowsky

Post by lynkowsky »

Een wrote: 17 September 2021, 08:32
lynkowsky wrote: 16 September 2021, 19:49 So, 5 people ask to close Arena (while they can just decide to not play it) and then the Area is closed ? Weird !
This is part of a larger discussion, I would recommend reading from this post (or the entire thread)
Larger discussion... Well 10 more guys decide that nobody cannot anymore play arena. The cheating will not be anymore for arena, but for Elo. So, will you delete Elo for these games too ? (note : I will not agree with this, as Elo let me find opponent of my level)
wontaketoomuchtime

Post by wontaketoomuchtime »

lynkowsky wrote: 17 September 2021, 11:15
Een wrote: 17 September 2021, 08:32
Larger discussion... Well 10 more guys decide that nobody cannot anymore play arena. The cheating will not be anymore for arena, but for Elo. So, will you delete Elo for these games too ? (note : I will not agree with this, as Elo let me find opponent of my level)
haha
Killerchess1

Post by Killerchess1 »

I agree that closing the arena for certain games is a bad move. I'm personally only impacted on chess, not sure how many other games have had their arena shut down.

I play arena cause in casual play people don't play a lot or leave games etc. In arena people are just more serious about their game. I understand this comes with the occasional bad apple that decides to cheat. But honestly I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a cheater and a just real strong player. If I lose I don't immediately suspect my opponent is a cheater, usually I just moved without thinking hehe.

I'm sure there are people who share my opinion but by closing chess arena you've closed off chess for me completely on BGA. And that's really sad. I don't mind putting up with an occasional (aledged) cheater. Instead of taking arena away for everyone, people who are upset about this should just not play chess in arena. Now they can't play arena anyway but the rest of us are "punished" aswell and it honestly doesn't solve anything for the people who were complaining. If anything it's more likely these cheaters will now move to casual play and ruin the games there for those complaining people.

Return to “Chess”