Undo Move Option

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
vre

Undo Move Option

Post by vre »

Hi.

The implementation is getting better and better and is already easier to play that a lot (most) other strategy games.

However, one thing I wish was available would be an option to undo the last move only, and not just the whole turn. I've seen this in other games, for example Railroad Ink. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
fafa-fr

Re: Undo Move Option

Post by fafa-fr »

vre wrote: 29 July 2021, 09:59 However, one thing I wish was available would be an option to undo the last move only, and not just the whole turn. I've seen this in other games, for example Railroad Ink. Any thoughts?
Hi,
There's a suggestion about it in the bug/suggestion report system (link), with some thoughts about it. Since it's by far the most upvoted suggestion, I might implement it, but I'm still not sure it will be doable without issue or without too much risk of bugs, so I can't promise anything.
fafa-fr

Post by fafa-fr »

I have questions for you players regarding this feature.
Should it undo the whole action with the current die? (Possibly undoing several chained actions e.g. place castle / place market / take animal tile.)
Or should it undo only the last move, i.e. last click that triggers a call to the server? (Which means that if you placed a warehouse and chose goods to sell, if you want to cancel the warehouse placement you'll need to undo your whole turn, because undoing last move will only undo the goods choice.)
Edit: in any case it will not be possible to do several successive undo to go back step by step.
Last edited by fafa-fr on 08 August 2021, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
PandaPower

Post by PandaPower »

The last die. I can think of very few times I've ever wanted to undo just the bonus action from tile placement.
covadis

Post by covadis »

You made a mistake, you have to work to correct it.
Actual implémentation looks great!
Bourjn

Post by Bourjn »

In my humble opinion, it should be the last action, but you should be able to undo several times (like in "Dice Hospital", there is a reset turn and cancel action).
If we want to undo a whole die turn, we still can redo the whole turn (yes we have to replay the first die) or undo several times.

For example, if your turn looks like:
  1. Buy a tile in the central depot
  2. Use first die to place a warehouse
  3. Sell a good
  4. Buy a tile in the central depot
  5. Use second die to place a castle
  6. Place a church
  7. Take a tile
  8. Buy a tile from central depot
For me, the best implementation could be to undo any of this action, and be able to repeat the undo to moving back further.

If the whole action with the current die is reverted, what happen if we "undo" at step 1, 4 and 8 ? Does it undo only this action, does it goes back to step 0, 1, 4 ? or 0, 0, 3 ? or 0, 3, 7 ? and will it be understandable for user to know which actions will be reverted when user does this "undo" action?
Hilmora

Post by Hilmora »

It 8s only possible to buy one tile per turn.
Corwin007

Post by Corwin007 »

covadis wrote: 07 August 2021, 09:03 You made a mistake, you have to work to correct it.
Actual implémentation looks great!
There is already undo. And "a mistake" can happen for lots of reasons, even misclick / mistap. It's a bad idea to make an interface that punishes people for things that have nothing to do with the game. Thankfully, this is not the case for this implementation of CoB, and I'm very happy about that.

---

As for the initial question, undo step by step (not die by die) would be more interesting. I think it would also be less of a source of errors, since it wouldn't group several things, and so would have fewer things to check each step. Honestly though, as much as I love complete undos at all levels, CoB turns are simple enough that even a whole turn reset is already fine. :)
Laurentio

Post by Laurentio »

If at all, then "undo step by step". But I don't think that it is all that nescessary in CoB, as the steps are small, fast, simple. So starting the whole turn new is not difficult.
Reidar55

Post by Reidar55 »

My ideal would be to have two buttons - undo last action, and undo turn (as it is now).

Repeated clicks of the Undo Last Action would undo back to the beginning of the turn (which would, by then, be the same as Undo Turn).

Admittedly, I have no idea of the programming difficulty for this, but it would be the same functionality as, for example, Microsoft Word, and many other applications.
Last edited by Reidar55 on 07 August 2021, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Castles of Burgundy”