ELO for close games vs. skunkings

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Bexclamation

ELO for close games vs. skunkings

Post by Bexclamation »

I'm not sure if this is something that can be changed specific to cribbage or if it's just the way BGA works, but it looks like the change in ELO after a game is based only on the players' relative rank going in, not on the final score. I just played the same opponent twice in a row, with one win each, and so my ELO ended up right back where it started - but the game I won was a skunking, and the game I lost, I lost by one point. Seems to me it would be more realistic to improve the ranking more after a blow-out victory than a nail-biter!
ufm

Re: ELO for close games vs. skunkings

Post by ufm »

Sadly ELO cannot reflect any detailed aspect of games but only player ranking (essentially win/loss in 2-player games).
This is not limited to BGA Cribbage. Whether a win be a narrow victory or a total domination, both count as a win nonetheless.
frogstar_A

Re: ELO for close games vs. skunkings

Post by frogstar_A »

It’s impossible to know whether a skunking is caused by great play skill or just good luck. In Yahtzee for example a wide margin of victory is almost always down to luck whereas a 1 point victory can be an indication of great skill.

ELO doesn’t attempt to model that - it just asks “how good was your opponent, and did you win or lose?” For all games.

Return to “Cribbage”