Dispute about Gender in German translation- admin decision needed

Deutsche Übersetzung
Katie_mi

Dispute about Gender in German translation- admin decision needed

Post by Katie_mi »

I know there is already a locked thread about Gender in German translation but I think this is something that should be decided by an admin. I translated/changed the rules of the game Artischocken to the male version as it is done in the original rules (I own the game in German) but the original translator just messaged me that he changed it back to his version because he likes it better.
It doesn't make sense to change it forward and back to what the individual translator prefers but there should be fixed rules that everyone should abide to. Can an admin please solve this? It would be good to have a set of rules for translations for each language fixed and have a link that everyone can see instead of having it in the discussions.
Tisaac

Re: Dispute about Gender in German translation- admin decision needed

Post by Tisaac »

Katie_mi wrote: 21 August 2021, 18:26 I know there is already a locked thread about Gender in German translation but I think this is something that should be decided by an admin. I translated/changed the rules of the game Artischocken to the male version as it is done in the original rules (I own the game in German) but the original translator just messaged me that he changed it back to his version because he likes it better.
It doesn't make sense to change it forward and back to what the individual translator prefers but there should be fixed rules that everyone should abide to. Can an admin please solve this? It would be good to have a set of rules for translations for each language fixed and have a link that everyone can see instead of having it in the discussions.
I am pretty sure that the "if an official translation from publisher exist, use this one" thing is a rule.
Een

Post by Een »

I moved this thread to the proper language sub-forum about the German translation.

Here is a link to the previous thread you mention: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19432&start=20

This thread was closed as it has been answered, and tended to attract broad discussions in English mixing issues while it's language specific and should be discussed by language and in that language to be productive and inclusive of that language's whole community (as I explained in the last post).

I invite you to start a new thread in German to discuss this subject with the whole German community. This is a community subject: admins do not know the 40+ languages opened for translation on BGA. Translation should be a consensus from the community, which can include some technical help from the framework with some gender specific replacements as described here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21387

Finally, as noted by Tisaac, in case of a dispute if no acceptable consensus can be reached, the reference for a given game is the choice made in the official rules translation for this language (if available).
Nidhoeggr42

Post by Nidhoeggr42 »

Katie_mi wrote: 21 August 2021, 18:26 I know there is already a locked thread about Gender in German translation but I think this is something that should be decided by an admin. I translated/changed the rules of the game Artischocken to the male version as it is done in the original rules (I own the game in German) but the original translator just messaged me that he changed it back to his version because he likes it better.
Personally I found the "gendered" translations of __wiz__ atrocious. But since i expected an edit war over it and didn't want to go there i simply refuse to play the game.
Since the German rules are from Amigo it would be interesting what they think about the translation here.
Tootles

Post by Tootles »

Hi,

I openly admit that I am divided. I understand both sides - both those who want short texts that practically correspond to the original, as well as those who strive for inclusion and have inserted gender-neutral texts.

Unfortunately, when I wrote the rules for the German version of the game, I didn't pay as much attention to gender-neutral wording as possible. At the end of the rules we have a passage in which we regard "Spieler" as an address for all genders. For some time now I have been writing my rules completely differently - namely gender-neutral.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to tackle the rules of "Artischocken" from scratch, because it's more than a quick, simple reformulation of individual half-sentences.

So it's okay for me - from an official point of view - that _wiz_ uses the inclusive version. He did the work programming the game and I think it's okay that his philosophy can also be used in the rules of the game.

This version worked for the German players for a good two months without causing an outcry. We won't be able to please everyone. I made a note that I will rewrite the rules for a reprint of the game at AMIGO. Then I can also exchange the corresponding passages here on BGA. Unfortunately, from the current perspective, I cannot say when and whether the reprint will take place, as it is still far too early for that.

I hope that this will end the quarrels about the translations at this point. If you have any questions, just speak to me directly.

Kind regards

Christian (Tootles)

- Editorial Department AMIGO -
Katie_mi

Post by Katie_mi »

Was bedeutet dann Gender-neutral? Die Übersetzung von Player als (Spieler und Spielerinnen) oder als (SpielerInnen) oder schlicht als (Spieler)?
Tootles

Post by Tootles »

In meinen Spielregeln umgehe ich mittlerweile alle geschlechtsbezogenen Formen komplett, d. h. es wird von "Personen" statt von "Spielern" gesprochen und sowieso durchgehend die direkte Ansprache gewählt, die ganz viele "Problemstellen" auf einmal löst. Alle anderen Formen von wegen Unterstrich, Binnen-I, Sternchen usw. halte ich für schwer lesbar - und damit für kontraproduktiv, wenn es darum geht, "inklusiv" zu sein mit geschriebenen Spielregeln.
Tootles

Post by Tootles »

Im Übrigen hab ich auch den Neuigkeiten-Text zu Artischocken gestern "lockerer" übersetzt, als das von manchen gewünscht war. "Du übersetzt zu frei" - hab ich mir sagen lassen. Aber: Ich hab den Text tatsächlich so geschrieben, dass er a) kürzer und weniger verschachtelt war und b) komplett ohne die Verwendung von maskulinen Formen wie z. B. Spieler, jeder, Erster usw. Ich gebe zu, ich hab nur "schnell" runtergeschrieben. Wenn das was offizielles für unsere Presse oder den Katalog wäre, hätte ich mehr Zeit investiert und die eine und andere Formulierung noch mal geändert. In der Form zu schreiben ist nicht schwer ... es ist nur eine Umstellung, auf die MANN sich einlassen muss. ;-)
cigma

Post by cigma »

Tootles hat geschrieben:
In meinen Spielregeln umgehe ich mittlerweile alle geschlechtsbezogenen Formen komplett, d. h. es wird von "Personen" statt von "Spielern" gesprochen und sowieso durchgehend die direkte Ansprache gewählt
Ich habe auch schon einige Texte hier auf BGA übersetzt und stolpere immer wieder mal über die Gender-Frage. Mit dir, Tootles, haben wir ja jemanden, der sich professionell mit dieser Frage beschäftigt. Ich wäre deshalb sehr interessiert, mehr darüber zu erfahren, wie deine genderneutralen Formulierungen aussehen! Kannst du das bitte noch etwas ausführlicher darstellen?

Von "Personen" statt "Spielern" zu sprechen, finde ich eine gute Idee. Was bedeutet "durchgehend die direkte Ansprache" bzw. lässt sich das hier auf die BGA-Textbausteine übertragen? Welche genderneutralen Ausdrücke oder Formulierungen verwendest du noch? Ich würde mich sehr freuen, wenn du dein Expertenwissen hier mit uns teilst. :)
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Tootles

Post by Tootles »

Puh, das ist bei jedem Text so individuell.

Die wichtigste Umstellung ist meines Erachtens tatsächlich schlicht das Vermeiden von Passiv-Konstruktionen. Nicht "Der Spieler zieht eine Karte.", sondern "Ziehe eine Karte" - nicht "keiner darf xyz", sondern "niemand darf xyz". Das ist die stressfreieste Angewohnheit beim Schreiben. Und dann sind es einfach Begrifflichkeiten wie "der Nächste", "der Erste", "die Mitspieler", "der linke Nachbar" usw., die sich in den meisten Fällen eben anders beschreiben lassen. Das ist so pauschal schwer zu beschreiben, das ist wie gesagt sehr individuell.

Auf BGA geben die Texte (News, Spielregeln) meist gewisse Strukturen vor, an die man sich ja halten sollte. Das hab ich z. B. bei dem News-Text von Artischocken nicht gemacht, da hab ich die Sätze umgestellt, hier und da etwas anders formuliert als es die automatische Übersetzung gemacht hätte usw. Im Endeffekt sollte keine einzige gender-bezogene Bezeichnung mehr im Text sein.

Es gibt aber Grenzen. Ich habe auch immer wieder Passagen vor mir, die ich nur dann genderneutral formuliert bekomme, wenn ich praktisch einen zusätzlichen halben Satz einfüge (oder mehr). Dann wiederum greift das Problem, dass mir meine Grafiker(innen) aufs Dach steigen, weil die Spielregel plötzlich 2-3 Zeilen länger ist als ursprünglich.

Es gibt mittlerweile einige Redakteurinnen und Redakteure, die diese Umstellung beim Schreiben vollzogen haben. Meine Erfahrung: Den meisten, die diese Regel dann lesen, fällt es gar nicht auf, dass sie "anders" sind. Selbst verlagsintern ist es so, dass es noch niemand wirklich bemerkt hat. 8-)

Return to “Deutsch - de”