Feature Request: Highlight last move

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
uhtoom

Feature Request: Highlight last move

Post by uhtoom »

I've tried to search for this feature, new to the site though so I'm not sure if I've missed something.
Highlighting the opponents last move would make it far easier when playing a lot of games in a row or several moves in serval games one after the other.
SquashEngineer

Re: Feature Request: Highlight last move

Post by SquashEngineer »

I agree (somewhat), that being able to see the opponents last move would be helpful. I'm not sure how it would be depicted given that you may want to see where the piece was, and where it was moved to, without also confusing the present players move.

Posssibilities:
Dotted lines.
Coloured highlights.
Ghosted highlights.

Devs may argue (as with all other games), that is what the Play Log history of moves is for.

This request could also be logged in the Bugs Forum - there is an option to submit it as a Suggested Game Improvement, that may or may not get Likes from the community for consideration.
blossom-

Post by blossom- »

One useful thing to do is to click the options menu (top-right of your screen) and toggle Notation style from "Classic" to "Tournament" - I got the hang of most of it simply by looking at it for a few minutes, but if you need clarification, here you go. It's a lot easier, this way, to get a handle on what happened last move during a turn-based game.

However, I do think a nice idea could be to FORCE playing the last move when you load up a turn-based game. Or, at least, an option to enable this. Although that may be redundant when the message log already has a way to replay moves.
Stuff by Bez

Post by Stuff by Bez »

blossom- wrote: 28 April 2022, 10:02
However, I do think a nice idea could be to FORCE playing the last move when you load up a turn-based game. Or, at least, an option to enable this. Although that may be redundant when the message log already has a way to replay moves.
I adore this idea and I'd turn it on if it was an option.

I think it'd be nice to see what my opponents have done rather than just read the log, and it'd make it feel a bit more 'lively' and help me feel more engaged and connected to the other human.
RysiuKuciapa

Post by RysiuKuciapa »

You are all aware that there is a button that lets you replay 2 last moves and is always on the top of the log? This is basically the functionality you are asking for, just press it and see what happened, takes literally 2 seconds.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

RysiuKuciapa wrote: 20 January 2023, 16:05 You are all aware that there is a button that lets you replay 2 last moves and is always on the top of the log? This is basically the functionality you are asking for, just press it and see what happened, takes literally 2 seconds.
I agree. I think that is the simplest, and already available, option.
Initially I was thinking a visual indicator, overlaid onto the game board as it stands. But replay last moves satisfies.
philipsj

Post by philipsj »

Automatically showing the last move upon opening the board would be nice. Having to click replay every time (while I agree is not time consuming) is just a minor annoyance.

Return to “Hive”