Revealing objectives

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Phoxtrot

Revealing objectives

Post by Phoxtrot »

In the rules:

"During play, after an action tile has been selected but before any player
does its action, a player with a face down stockpile goal may choose to
flip it face up (so that all players have the option to stockpile that item).
"
Anyone knows how this has been implemented ?

The truth is that waiting for the current holder of an hidden objective whenever a new action is taken could quickly be bothersome for turn-based games.

I think the best would be to create player options, the choices could be along those lines:
  • Don't reveal until I have to
  • Reveal asap
  • Reveal at next start of an action where stockpiling could occur
  • Always ask for my input
  • Ask for my input at the start of any action where stockpiling could occur
paramesis

Re: Revealing objectives

Post by paramesis »

There is a checkbox visible only to the holder of the facedown stockpile goal that the player defines immediately upon choosing the goal. If the box is checked, the goal will be revealed as soon as a relevant action to that goal is chosen. It can be changed at any time and its value and existence is unknown to other players. There has been quite a bit of discussion already about how to implement this in a way that doesn't unduly delay the game or reveal hidden information. https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=46028
revealgoal.PNG
revealgoal.PNG (118.39 KiB) Viewed 904 times
If checked, the Exploration goal will flip for both Explore and Settle, and since there may be reason to flip for one and not the other, I am planning to split that into two checkboxes.

Since the decision to reveal the goal is based on the state of a particular game and player strategy, it needs to be part of the game interface and tied to database values set within that game, rather than a user preference, which affects all games for that user.
Phoxtrot

Re: Revealing objectives

Post by Phoxtrot »

Thanks.

That looks good.

It's not 100% perfect in turn-based mode I think:

For instance, you might want to reveal or not "Tax on Trade" when "Trade" arrives depending on how much money you have at that moment and whether there might still be an opportunity to spend that money later on or not. And how much money you have when "Trade" arrives might depend for instance on whether there is a "Produce" phase in-between or not (diversified economy etc...). And whether there still is a later opportunity to spend money after that "Trade" action might also still be unknown when you check that box and go to sleep.

I haven't yet thought about the other stockpile goals but they are probably less prone to this kind of issues.

I lack experience with the game but I would expect problematic situations to be rare so the current implementation seems good to me.

Return to “New Frontiers”