Better mode for competitive play

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
gordoz

Better mode for competitive play

Post by gordoz »

Currently, Random Draft (RD) leads to more interesting and fun games. But it is more imbalanced with the small hero pool of only 6 giving a big advantage to the first drafter. Competitive Draft (CD) is more balanced, but games are rather dull due to the unlimited pool, seeing the usual suspects of Kilgore, Korvash, Nevamore, etc. picked ad naseum. An improved mode (balanced, but still interesting) would combine best aspects of RD and CD. It should use the draft style of CD but with a slightly reduced and random hero pool like RD. CD currently allows all 24 heroes while RD only allows a random 6. A new draft style mode allowing banning and drafting from a pool of around 12-16 random heroes would lead to a lot more variety and interesting games, while at the same time bringing more challenge to the drafting phase since the pool changes every time. Hope we make a change like this as it could really bring more interest to the competitive mode! Thanks
Ogid

Re: Better mode for competitive play

Post by Ogid »

I like those suggestions. A mode like RD but with more heroes would be quite good, and Casual Draft may use bans, at least 1 per player before start picking (and maybe even 1 extra after the first or second pick).

In this line, I posted a mode in the suggestions for new arena seasons that worked quite well for me in this kind of games before, I copy paste it:

New Draft: Lion's Share draft
Draft:
->Each player draft 6 heroes (secretly)
->One random player is the first player.
->The first player builds 2 different teams with his 6 selected champions.
->The Second player chooses one of those teams (the ones the first player made) to play.
->The First player must play the other team he made.

Here as as the player who makes the teams choses last, he must try to build balanced teams, but you are not only limited to just the top tier stuff; as long as you know how to build balanced teams, you may include the full roster.

I like it more than playing the same again and again.

Return to “Super Fantasy Brawl”